Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does My Hedgehog Need Help?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Does My Hedgehog Need Help?  Empty
PostSubject: Does My Hedgehog Need Help?    Does My Hedgehog Need Help?  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 11:19 am

When to Assist

The hedgehog has been hit by a car -

Any animal that has been hit by a car could be badly injured and in shock, and so must have medical attention immediately.
A leg appears damaged - We have had a huge amount of success treating even badly infected fractures in hedgehogs. but the sooner we can start treatment the more chance there is of saving the leg. Dragging both hind legs - This can indicate a spinal or pelvis injury, the animal should be handled very carefully supporting the whole body.

A single orphan after surveillance -

Tiny babies will only leave a nest if there is a problem. And it is worth noting that young hedgehogs make a very shrill, loud, call if they are in distress.

A hedgehog that is caught in netting or a wire fence -
Hedgehogs caught in netting or fences should be cut out and taken to a wildlife rescue centre immediately. They will need to stay in hospital for at least one week's observation, in case of further complications caused by constriction wounds from netting etc.

A Hedgehog with spines missing -
There are a number of conditions that can cause hedgehogs to loose spines and fur. These range from mites to fungal infections, and even a zinc deficiency can effect hedgehogs in this way. All can be treated at a wildlife hospital, and of course a hedgehog with no spines has no protection.

A hedgehog that is out during the day -

As hedgehogs are nocturnal animals they will only ever come out during the day if there is a problem. A hedgehog that is asleep away from it's nest - Hedgehogs only sleep and hibernate in specially built nests, if you find one lying in the middle of a garden or path, it should be assumed that it is ill.

A hedgehog that is covered with Fly Eggs or Maggots -

Fly eggs are yellow and look like tiny grains of rice. They must be removed, as they will hatch within 24 hours becoming maggots.

A hedgehog that is stuck in drain -

Hedgehogs often get stuck in drains, and will need assistance to get out. The only way to do this is to use two pairs of pliers, attach these to the hedgehogs spines, either side of the animal and pull hard. It may sound cruel but it really is the only way to get the hedgehog out.

When to Leave Alone:-

When the hedgehog is in its nest -
Hedgehogs will sleep all day in their nest and disturbing them will result in a very grumpy prickly ball huffing at you!

Once it has been established that a hedgehog is in need of help, it should be picked up and put it in a cardboard box. (Hedgehogs should be handled with thick gardening gloves, their spines are sharp and they may bite).

The box should be lined with newspaper and an old towel, (hay or ripped newspaper should never be used, as they can contaminate the wound and if the hedgehog is active in the box, shredded paper or hay can become wrapped around limbs and cause further problems).
A hot water bottle, (or any plastic bottle filled with warm water), should also be added to the box, as direct heat will help an animal that is suffering from shock.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Does My Hedgehog Need Help?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does My Hedgehog Need Help?    Does My Hedgehog Need Help?  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 9:22 am

I have seen people write on networking sites that they have found a nest . disturb it and mom has left there is more baby hedgehogs in the rescues now then adults i believe .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t

Does My Hedgehog Need Help?
Page 1 of 1