Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just researching desert hogs!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Elisehelen11

Elisehelen11

Just researching desert hogs! Empty
PostSubject: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Hi, im just researching desert hogs because obviously, its all fasinating to me! whats the different needs between them and a pygmy? and do they like the same fluffy liners, do they eat the same as pygmy hedgehogs? basically, whats the different apart from the look of them? do they need a bigger viv?.. so many questions:L xx
Back to top Go down
gems

gems

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:19 pm

there is a section on the forum especially for desert hogs and there is stickys giving you all the care info. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Elisehelen11

Elisehelen11

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Oh thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:24 pm

The most important thing to remember is that they are not as friendly as the APH and can be more prone to biting - they require patience and firm handling.

They enjoy a larger home and plenty of exercise time - dietary wise, they will eat the same as APH but do need live food - locusts and mealworms are favourites.
Back to top Go down
Elisehelen11

Elisehelen11

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:27 pm

how come theyre not as friendly?x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:31 pm

APH have been around for more years - Desert Hogs have not had as long to be as domesticated as the APH - if they do nip, it is more of a warning nip than a full on bite - you have to be prepared that you may get got - it is all about handling - the more you handle, the better the exercise time the more they will become used to you. Woodstock has nipped only a couple of times, Priscilla never, Nora several times - doesn't make me love them any less and I love the difference in their looks and physical traits x
Back to top Go down
Elisehelen11

Elisehelen11

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:34 pm

They look beautiful.. i have so much time on my hands and cant imagine that changing any time soon, im really interested in desert hogs but im gathering information on them first, like i did with sukie!:Lxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Always the best place to start - minimum cage size would be four foot - the largest of the viv exotic new range would be my recommendation - love a good sturdy wheel and litter tray with chinchilla sand in works best for mine - mine are not on fleece liners but are on a pet blanket that I got from B&M - they have a large pigloo and pieces of fleece inside to make a nest out of, water bowl, food bowl and a selection of cat toys - Priscilla loves ping pong balls - it is really funny to watch her with them. Large heat mat covering most of the floor - on a mat stat.

Food - same biscuit mix as the APH, chicken, mince beef, turkey, roast lamb/beef, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, squash, sweet potato - the same as my APH with addition live locusts and mealworms - they like a boiled egg as well xx
Back to top Go down
Elisehelen11

Elisehelen11

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Luckily i have money coming in soon to pay for that.. :L so would they also like bucket wheels then? i have chinchilla sand here because my old hamsters liked to have "sand baths" Where do these large pigloos come from because i cant find them! i have a large orange cover thing but the igloo looks better! would they like fleece liners though?:Lxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:46 pm

Bucket wheel would be the better wheel for them. I can get the large pigloos - blue, lime green, pink or purple if you cannot find them.

Should be OK with fleece liners - mine have just had the pet blankets to be honest x
Back to top Go down
Elisehelen11

Elisehelen11

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:49 pm

i have a few pet blankets but sukie tends to try and sleep under them! so weve had to order more liners to stop her:Lx
Back to top Go down
Elisehelen11

Elisehelen11

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Do you/or know anyone, who breeds desert hogs?x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:51 pm

I am hoping to pair Woodstock and Priscilla next year x
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:53 pm

deserts are something i want to look into in the future too, they are great! its nice your thinking of having one elise Smile xx
Back to top Go down
Elisehelen11

Elisehelen11

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Have they got a waiting list nellie?, and yes Jake they are lush! i really want to see the different temperments and personalities!
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Same with me hoping to pair next year ... with Nigel and Sheila ... Sheila i had from a near baby as Helen got her for me ...Sheila will huff and puff quite abit when i first get her out ... but settles down . Deserts i find have a stronger smell to them then APH too .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Elisehelen11

Elisehelen11

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 2:21 pm

a stronger smell? oh my god, sukie stinks my room out after two days, despite the countless cleaning!:L x
Back to top Go down
Elisehelen11

Elisehelen11

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 2:22 pm

oh and Sheila is stunning! she is the reason i want a desert hog! absolutly stunning, sukies sat here going through her pictures! i really want to see the different personalities! do your pair have a waiting list?x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just researching desert hogs!   Just researching desert hogs! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just researching desert hogs!
Page 1 of 1