Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Researching a pet ...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lou

Lou

Researching a pet ... Empty
PostSubject: Researching a pet ...   Researching a pet ... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Researching care requirements for a pet is necessary. By researching the animal's care, you will know whether or not you can care for this animal. Improper or no prior research after getting a pet animal really isn't acceptable .

Choose the kind of source that you want to use for researching the animal's care. Books, the Internet, and getting care information from someone else are ways that people find care requirements for the animal they want It is better to get care requirements from more than one kind of source.

Look at as many as care websites forums, care books, etc. on the animal you want. It will be easier to determine if a care requirement is accurate or not.

After looking at many sources, compare what they say for what the animal needs. If something is claimed that the animal needs, but it is also mentioned in other sources, it is more likely to be true then false.
If a source says the animal you can use something for an animal or it needs that thing, but it is not mentioned in other sources, or those sources claim you shouldn't use it, it is most likely false.

Please do not ask people in the pet store for information. It is most likely false information, unless people have said that specific store is honest or takes good care of their animals
Some animals require LOTS of experience, Large housing, and varied diet .

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Researching a pet ...   Researching a pet ... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks Lou.
Another very valid post...

Doing plenty of Homework before aquiring a pet saves all concerned - owner and pet alike. Having met many devastated owners of so many different animals, it's not just the animal that suffers when it all goes wrong..
Whilst ignorance is no defence. Most of the people I've encountered over the years are not naturally cruel. Usually they were truly heart-broken, having rushed in (or been misled) by unscrupulous suppliers for whom the bottom line was cold hard cash with no consideration for the animal they were selling, nor the purchaser.

In additon to checking out the animal's numerous material and physical needs - housing, bedding & food and husbandry matters - Can I safely clip claws/groom/treat minor injuries etc and if not can I afford a vet for these as routine care isn't usually covered by insurance- a prospect owner needs to think about meeting the psychological needs their prospective pet may need. Different animals have different needs. An animal can be well fed, kept clean but ultimately be a victim of neglect purely because that first facination/novelty has worn off and the poor creature is never handled or stimulated through play outside the confines of their cages. Under such circumstances the most sweetnatured and gentle creature quickly becomes a tetchy, ill-natured and probably agressive animal which the owner then sees as just cause for continuing the on the mutually destuctive path, until the time comes when the relationship is so lacking in fulfilment that a parting becomes inevetable; and who will want such an animal? Only people with the understanding of it's needs so lacking in the owner.

As some of you know I keep owls and strange as it may seem they have more in common with hedgehogs than their status of 'exotic'. They're beautiful, magnifcent creatures. We (as a family) are very luck that they are well-behaved, hand tame birds. This has little to do with their living enviroment (though a clean mews and a carefully monitored diet is obviously important) and everything to day with daily contact - being jessed, manned (carried around on the glove) and flown every single day - regardless of the weather or how tired we are. Contact and stimulation is vital.

To anyone like myself - who's still doing their homework, sorry, I didn't mean to preach, but it's so sad when what should be a life enhancing experience becomes a chore to be endured simply because of a basic lack of research prior to committing to a relationship which will become a major responsibility for a significant part of the owner's life - and all of the animal's..

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Researching a pet ...   Researching a pet ... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 7:39 am

Sadly, there are still too many "impulse" purchases - as an owner of a shop you would be surprised at how many requests I get to "trade in" unwanted reptiles for another one - our standard answer is no!
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Researching a pet ...   Researching a pet ... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 am

Proper thing too Helen,
I can't imagine anyone would do a trade-in... Unless you flog old cars! Aside from the ethics, there has to be a hard business hat worn on occasions - you've no history on the unfortunate 'trade-in'... Even quarentine can't protect you're stock from everything, and I know what poor diet can do to a reptile's health...

There's also a big difference between folks like you who run their business along ethical lines and some larger, supermarket types (and dare I say socalled 'farmers') where their responsibility ends with an info sheet on the animal - and a fiver off for buying a complete set-up.

Like you say, there are too many impulse buys.

Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Researching a pet ...   Researching a pet ... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 8:20 am

I had a e-mail once asking me if i would swap one of my baby hoglets for a snake . shocking but true .x
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: Researching a pet ...   Researching a pet ... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 am

it's also important to research and find a breeder you can trust and who offers support, i researched a few before finding lou. i have to say she is very strict about who her hogs go to, she didn't just say to me "yes, you can have one", i had to put in a bit of legwork first before she would consider me... and that's why i decided i wanted to go with her, and now i have a perfect little hoglet and a really good friend as well xxx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Researching a pet ...   Researching a pet ... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 am

Aww thanks Josie that is a really lovely thing to say . Someone asked me the other day how long my waiting list are ..I have to be honest i don't go on a first come first serve i go on how much the potential owners ask me .. I normally have a chat on the phone to people that i am considering also ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Researching a pet ...   Researching a pet ... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Researching a pet ...
Page 1 of 1