Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Size of heat pad?

Go down 
+4
Melody
Leanne
tayer
A M Y
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 8:18 am

Elaine67 wrote:
Helen,

If I go for that option (taping to the back of the viv) should I site it inside or outside the viv?

When I was looking at mats in P@H someone was talking about the benefit you mention - heat conduction throughout her tower. I'm not sure what was in it - just that they were nice and warm...

Also, with the whole area warmed should I put a cool tile or something similar in to provide somewhere for the hog to escape to if needed?

As ever, thanks for your advice.
Elaine

Sorry Elaine, missed this one.

Taped to the back of the viv and it will provide an ambient temperature - set the mat stat to 22 degrees, I personally do not go higher through choice - she will be toasty warm in her nest box and as the mat is on the back she will not overheat - don't use cool tiles.

Will add here as I seem to do a lot, my hoggie room temperature sits at 21 degrees, i have a back up fan that will click on and off if the temperature drops below 20 degrees - hoggies are all toasty warm, do not attempt hibernation - have the window open on a warm day and opened when cleaning out for an hour in a morning on a cooler day to give a blast of fresh air - I am still a firm believer that if you set temps higher, you have more problems in sudden cold snaps.
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 10:43 am

I have my heating set overnight that if it drops below 23 that my heating comes on . I have ever had one hibernation attempt and that was a couple of years ago .. x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks Helen,

I'll pick up a little fan heater that'd be just the job. - It'll bridge the hours between the central heating going off'n'on during the colder months (if I haven't over-written the central-heating timer and left the heating on) and shouldn't cost much to run as it'll be off-peak. I've bought one of those little heatpads you put in the microwave. I have read the warning post about them but I only plan to use it when I'm collecting my baby hog or in extremis if the heating failed. If there was a powercut I'd heat it in a pan of hot water - have a gas cooker. I've been looking at pads that run on 12v - again as a fall-back item or for in the car. We've big and beefy leasure batteries for our caravan so it all else failed I'd connect a mat to one. I've been trying to come up with as many contingency measures as possible.

Melody, thankyou for that very kind remark, but as Lou says it's no more than anyone taking on a new species should do - I just like to get things nailed down in my head so there's fewer 'surprises' when my beastie arrives. There's always a surprise down the road - but I like to have knowledgable peeps I can call on - like yourselves - and having a good theoretical knowledge before installing the animal is a must as it keeps those surprises to a minimum.

Elaine Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 8:08 am

Have assembled the viv I bought. It's a LX36 Vivexotic with 3 pre-installed vents in the back - 2 at the top and 1 at the bottom. This has caused me a bit of a problem in that the clearance between the top and bottom vent(s) is about 10" and all the mats I've looked at are a standard 11" depth.

Does anyone know of a mat that comes in a slightly narrower size (not the 6" ones) or alternatively could I get away with covering the lower vent as I'm fitting extra to the side walls?

If all else fails I'll tape it to the floor of the viv...

Thanks so much for your help.
Elaine
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 8:24 am

If you are fitting extra vents you can cover the lower vent Elaine x
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 8:36 am

Ahhh...Phoo!

Thankyou Helen!
Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 9:06 am

The lx is generally too narrow I think elaine... should have been the vx but double check xxx
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 3:03 pm

OMG! Shocked Your right Josie.

This viiv's 15" deep not 18". I could kick m'self. I just wanted to cry when the measuring tape showed I'd been an idiot. Sad

Chris has been the voice of calm reason. If I have problems He'll treat me to the "bl**dy big, beastie bling-thing" of my choice! I should be able to use this until the hoggy needs a wheel. Space-wise it works out as 3.75 cubic foot using the formula Helen states in her sticky post 'Getting ready for a Hedgehog' so I'm just about Ok short-term. I usually get my caged pets out twice a day - post school-run (during cage cleaning) and every evening so in addition to plenty of taming love'n'hugs I'll make sure my lil prickly-titch get's plenty of exercise.

I always planned to buy a 4ft viv at some point - When I do the 3 footer can sit on top of it and be used for storage or emergencies.

....Still want to kick m'self!!
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 pm

The 15 inch is really small you can't even get a litter tray in it ..x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Josie

Josie

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 3:49 pm

I nearly ended up ordering the lx, until I wondered why it was cheaper and Luckily I double checked the measurements beforehand xxx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 4:44 pm

I did as well untill Helen pointed in the right direction, I got all confused with the measurements.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 pm

I had my girls doing their "Mum, MUM... MUUMMM!" routine and ended up totally in a muddle - should have left it, but just wanted to get it ordered. I had both in my basket - deleted the wrong one! At one point I had a third option - one with a stand... That'll teach me to do anything with the girls around.

I've found a smaller litter tray (for kittens) that will fit. If all else fails I'll have to bite the bullet and get shot of the viv and start again. It may be a bit back-to-front having equipment (wheel, tray, etc) and no housing but at least I'll be able to check everything fits.

Have heard from the breeder I contacted at the weekend. Will post more in chat..

Thanks for your help folks - it's appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 11:39 am

Just to let everyone who's read this thread know...

I bought a Zoozone (dark-blue) this morning after checking it's the right one with Melody (thankyou again)

I'm back on track again. Must look at those cute fleece sets!

ATB
Elaine Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 11:42 am

No worries at all Elaine, always happy to help Very Happy

Check out Helen's and Sheila's fleece liners...

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 11:44 am

Will Do!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Size of heat pad?   Size of heat pad? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Size of heat pad?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2