Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good home for my new Hoggie

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nuggit

Good home for my new Hoggie Empty
PostSubject: Good home for my new Hoggie   Good home for my new Hoggie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi,
My name is Jenny and Im very excited to be collecting my first hoglet in a few weeks time. Unfortunately Ive been doing so much research, I think Ive managed to confuse myself with too much conflicting information.
Im trying to find a nice house for my hoggie, but I dont have the ability to build one. I was thinking of getting a Ferplast indoor rabbit cage (95cm x 57cm), but Im worried that the spaces between the bars are too big? Someone suggested a zoozone cage, but then someone else said that ventilation is a problem. Im not sure what to do - any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Another issue Im worried about is the temperature of the cage. Please can someone suggest specific products that I can use to monitor and maintain the correct temperature.
Any other suggestions for a prospective mommy would be great!
Thanks very much
cat
Back to top Go down
pricklypaws

pricklypaws

PostSubject: Re: Good home for my new Hoggie   Good home for my new Hoggie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi ya Jenny,

lol! the times I have confused myself with way too much research...

The ferplast indoor rabbit cage can be a problem if you have a hedgie that likes to climb and has things to climb on as he could escape or get stuck in the bars as the spaces are quite big. I personally recommened a large zoozone, and many other hog owners use these without any problems, infact I will be using them for my hoglets.

There is a good thermometer that Charlie has just found and is testing in her vivs at the moment, and good reviews so far and they are only about £2.49, I am sure Charlie will be along soon with a link flower

The best suggestion I can think of is never be afraid to ask for help or advice, or reassurance with your hogs no matter how silly you may think the question is - its not !

Welcome along and looking foward to seeing some piccies of your new hoglet in a few weeks. In the meantime spill the beans, Male or Female, colour etc rendeer
Back to top Go down
http://www.pricklypaws.co.uk
Nuggit

PostSubject: Re: Good home for my new Hoggie   Good home for my new Hoggie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 10:47 pm

Thanks for that info. Im actually reading an American forum about cages at the moment where they seem to hate the zoo zone (and they get quite nasty by the looks of things - Im glad this forum is nothing like that one!).
I have also just come across another cage that has smaller spaces, but again Im not sure because the bars are still horizontal. Its called the Midwest Model 162 Critter Nation (http://www.companionschoice.co.uk/Ferret_cages.htm).
Im not one for making decisions. As it is, I chose to miss my companies Christmas Party tonight because I have an assignment to do, but I have spent all night reading up on hedgie stuff. Oh well, I'll just have to work through the whole weekend.
As for my hedgie, she is a chocolate female, and hopefully I'll be able to fetch her on 20 December! I cant wait!
Back to top Go down
pricklypaws

pricklypaws

PostSubject: Re: Good home for my new Hoggie   Good home for my new Hoggie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 10:58 pm

If you mean these [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] then No as hedgehogs will climb on the bars so a chance they will fall and injury themselves, as well as being at risk of damaging limbs etc.

There isnt anything wrong with the zoozones and personally they are the safest option for your new hoglet, if your not having a viv Big grin

Awww a chocolate lovely, have you decided on a name yet
Back to top Go down
angel125

angel125

PostSubject: Re: Good home for my new Hoggie   Good home for my new Hoggie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 11:02 pm

I think that the Americans hate the Zoozone because it is a hotter country and they then have problems with air curculation. We are much colder most of the time so it makes sence to avoid drafts - and the Zoozone is good at that.
If we had a hot summer it would be recommended that we put a fan over the top of the Zoozone to help with air flow. I think the theory is something like that!
Back to top Go down
pricklypaws

pricklypaws

PostSubject: Re: Good home for my new Hoggie   Good home for my new Hoggie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 11:05 pm

^^^ boing
Back to top Go down
Nuggit

PostSubject: Re: Good home for my new Hoggie   Good home for my new Hoggie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Unfortunately I do not have the skills required to build a viv like some of the great ones Ive seen on this forum. Maybe 1 day I'll be able to convince hubby to build one for me, although Im definitely not going to hold my breath. Is there anyone who sells the vivs for hedgies?
Just a quick question - what size is the zoo zone that you're recommending?
I think Im going to call her Nuggit, but that hasnt been 100% decided yet. I think the final decision will have to be made after we've collected her.
Ive grown up with lots of cats and dogs, but this is my first hedgie. As excited as I am about it, Im also quite nervous because I dont know what Im doing and I dont want to do anything to hurt her. So please excuse me if I post loads of questions in the next few weeks/ months.
Thanks again. I think Im going to head to bed to dream of hedgies.
cat
Back to top Go down
pricklypaws

pricklypaws

PostSubject: Re: Good home for my new Hoggie   Good home for my new Hoggie Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 11:15 pm

Quote :
So please excuse me if I post loads of questions in the next few weeks/ months.

Post away Jenny flower

Quote :
what size is the zoo zone that you're recommending?

Large

and sweet dreams Sleep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good home for my new Hoggie   Good home for my new Hoggie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good home for my new Hoggie
Page 1 of 1