Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 9:00 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

YES Hoggies can swim.. But if you have a pond in your garden please ensure there is an escape route for them, sloping sides, or chicken wire up the sides which they will use as a ladder to climb out are a must for any garden ponds.. Thank you ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 am

THANK YOU to Barney the young boy who brought in Hedgina 2 weeks ago for dropping by yesterday with some food and two cat carriers for the rescue.. Very much appreciated.. Hedgina is still here making progress slowly..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 4:29 pm

NAPPY NEWS... Hilary one of our resident Hoggies has given birth to a litter of 4 hoglets this morning... This is her 2nd litter this year... Well done Hilary !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Bit on the warm side for ROSIE this afternoon i think !!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 2:39 pm

PLEASE don't squash us !!! As the Summer evenings are now closing in, our Prickly friends will be starting to come out earlier in the evening for food.. Please be vigilant on the roads for Hoggies crossing, unfortunately they don't know the Green Cross Code !! Thank you..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:36 pm

This female Hoggie has spent the entire afternoon dragging everything she can into the smallest Hoggie house we have here at the rescue... She has filled it so much she can't fit in !!! sign of more babies maybe ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Been raining all day but Hoggies are still out and about, already fetched one in today who is now up and eating.. Please keep looking out for any in need of our help... Thank you .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 4:32 pm

Called out to Derby County Cricket Club where they had found this little fella outside the main front doors in daylight.. He weighs 230g has a few ticks but no injuries.. I will monitor him but he will probably end up being overwintered if he does not reach hibernation weight.. Thanks to the two lovely girls on reception who cared enough to call the BHPS and get my number ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 9:23 am

BABIES are still being born.. Hilary had a litter only a few days ago here at the rescue, and i had a message from a lady yesterday with a Hoggie in her garden who has also just had a litter... So please keep looking and listening for the squeeks of any babies in need of our help as these are the babies who will need overwintering... Thank you..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Called out to this small female Hoggie weight 190g lots of fleas... I actually went out to this garden last wednesday and searched for 2 hours as the lady had seen 2 small Hoggies but as the garden is so large and a perfect haven for Hoggies i could not find them.. At last today the lady called and 1 has appeared so i suspect the other will still be around.. This is where the battle starts to get these babies upto 600g before the cold weather begins, hopefully we have time on our side..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 5:53 pm

2nd call out today.. Lady called and had found a small Hoggie by the curb on a very busy main road, she picked it up and was directed through to me via a local veterinary hospital.. It is a male Hoggie weight 210g it has a blood stain on its back and a few of its spines are broken so i am guessing a bird has attacked it.. It seems fine and is eating and drinking well.. Another small one to try and get up to hibernation weight.... Thanks to the lady for calling this Hoggie would of most certainly been hit by a car if left there..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 8:59 am

First call this morning is to the garden where the famous Findern were born.. I hand reared them and returned them back to where they were born 3 weeks ago.. Tim has been kindly keeping me updated on there progress and has advised they appear to have gained some ticks so i am going to remove the ticks. It will be nice to see how they are getting along also.. Hopefully i will get their before the phone starts ringing !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Been on my visit to the Findern four babies and removed ticks,sprinkled with flea powder and weighed them all... Three are all at Hibernation weight already which is brilliant and are doing really well.. The fourth one has lost weight so as a precaution i brought her back to the Rescue.. After a short time here it was clear what was wrong she has an infection.. I have started her on a course on antibiotics so hopefully this will clear it up.. The other 3 are living a lovely life in Tim's beautiful garden and are free to leave whenever but choose not to !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 11:22 am

HOUDINI ... was sure i had fastened the carrier securely, luckily this was as i pulled up on my drive !!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 8:17 am

Sadly Hilary has abandoned her babies, two have died and the remaining two i have started to hand rear... I suspected this was happening as for the last few days she has buried herself in the bedding and left the babies.. On checking first thing yesterday two were already dead and the other two were freezing cold.. I have managed to warm them up they have taken 10 feeds so far and are in the ICU on a heat pad weights 27g and 28g.. — at Prickly Ball Lodge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 6:01 pm

As the night temperatures are dropping and the evening's are closing in, PLEASE leave plenty of food out for our Prickly Friends as they start to bulk up for hibernation.. Keep looking out for any small Hoggies who will need overwintering to ensure there survival .. Thank you ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 8:58 am

PLEASE start placing ang Hoggie houses you are intending to put in your gardens as Hoggies will soon be looking for a nice dry place to stay for the winter months.. Plenty of twigs, branches leaves around your garden are ideal as Hoggies like to make their own home.. Thank you ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Latest arrival this is ANGUS !! he was found out in daylight wandering around for last few days.. He weighs 128g and had quite a lot of fleas but no injuries.. Angus will probably remain here now until next spring.. Thank you to the lovely couple who brought him into me...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 2:00 pm

So the juvenile Hoggies are out there... I have had 3 in under 200g in the last 5 days and waiting on a call from a lady who has spotted one but has not managed to catch it.. Please keep looking out for any juveniles that need to be brought in .. Thank you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 2:58 pm

This is one of Hilary's babies that i am hand rearing after it's feed having a few zzzzzzz !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 am

PLEASE look out for any Hoggies in need of help this weekend as heavy rain is expected .. A Mother with babies will move them one by one to a dry place if her nest is in danger of flooding. Any small Hoggies will also try to get to a safe place but torrential rain can flood them out from their nests very quickly. Thank you ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 9:13 am

The two Hoglets i am hand rearing are progressing well, they are 12 days old today so their eyes should be opening within the next few days, there milk can now be increased and feeding time 3-4 hours instead of every 2 hours !! come on little Hoglets you are doing so well ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 5:16 pm

The weather here in the Midlands is awful strong winds and heavy rain... PLEASE make sure your Hoggie houses are elevated enough so they will not flood.. Still put food out for the Hoggies they will come soon as they weather subsides.. Thank you ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 7:58 am

One of my resident Hoggies at 5.30am this morning dragging everything he can find into this house !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 2:01 pm

All our Hoggies here at Prickly Ball Lodge are sheltering from the weather today, that is except Rosie who has been out and about since 6am and is still running around the garden !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue   Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next