Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre Empty
PostSubject: Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre   Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Yesterday I think i felt every emotion possible! 3 hogs back to the wild Malcolm, Christine and Percy all in a wonderful garden which also has wild hogs visiting - happy to let them go sad cos I will really miss Christine and Malcolm they were so small and poorly when they came to me and I have to say on more than one occasion I thought I would loose them but seeing them now Malcolm 1089 grams and Christine 915 grams eyes full of mischief - best of luck to you lot have a wonderful happy wild hoggie life and take care xxx A girl collected from Kingsley covered in fly eggs finders had removed loads before I got there but still over an hour to get the rest off then a girl brought in from Marsden out during the day - no obvious sign of injury so samples will be checked asap then on our way back from release at about 9.30 a message re adult hog suck down a ventilation shaft for an air brick - poor little girl she had had a littler in this tiny hole and sadly all the little ones were dead she seems OK but brought in as not sure how long she had been down there - so sad. So please if you have any holes that are big enough for a hog to fall down and too deep for them to get out please make sure they are covered it is such a sad loss and can so easily be prevented also with drains if you have a drain box cover over please make sure the drain hole is also covered as little hogs can easily get in there and will fall in and drowned. PLease remember that even adult hogs only need a 5cm gap so the little ones will get in even smaller gaps.

If gardening this bank holiday weekend please be sure to check compost piles for mum and babies and also undergrowth before strimming - have a wonderful weekend xxxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre   Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 5:12 pm

It’s a very sad day for all Huddersfield Hedgehogs in the Rawthorpe area - two calls to Rawthorpe Lane today - council have got contractors in to remove ALL the hedges from every house on that estate - they had only removed one hedge and already two hogs one with injury to back leg and other a big one over 1100 grams but wont open for me to check yet - I am so glad the guy removing the hedges took the time to call me so I can help these two but I am so worried about the number that will be displaced by the councils actions - I have phoned the council office and am awaiting a return call
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre   Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 3:43 pm

A prickly problem for hedgehogs as Kirklees Council works in Rawthorpe leave them homeless
11 Sep 2013 11:00

Vicky Greenwood, who runs the Oggles hedgehog rescue service, has already saved two animals after work started on the Rawthorpe estate.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A wildlife expert was last night working with housing officials to save hedgehogs as contractors started to dig up hedges.

Vicky Greenwood, who runs the Oggles hedgehog rescue service, has already saved two animals after work started on the Rawthorpe estate.

Contractors are removing overgrown hedges at homes where tenants cannot maintain them.

But Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing officials stressed that many would be staying and checks would be made to try and save all the hedgehogs.

Ms Greenwood said: “The estates provide a safe haven for so much wildlife. Hedgehogs make their homes in these hedges because the estates are relatively quiet at night, with little traffic.

“They can safely wander about at night and a hedgehog can roam up to three miles in one night and they want a safe haven.

“People don’t get the chance to see wildlife in their natural habitat and as far as hedgehogs are concerned, the habitat is now our housing estates.”

One of the rescued hedgehogs, a female, has an injured leg and will be treated by a vet. The other was a large healthy male weighing 1,100 gms.

Both will be kept by Ms Greenwood at her Dewsbury Moor sanctuary until they are well enough to be released into the care of an animal-lover with a garden.

Britain’s hedgehog population has suffered an alarming decline since 1996, according to research by the People’s Trust for Endangered Species, British Hedgehog Preservation Society and other organisations.

It was in light of this decline that Vicky decided to set up her one-woman operation, named after her first rescued hedgehog, Oggie.

A KNH spokesman said that after extensive consultation with tenants and residents on the estate, they had made the decision to remove hedges and replace them with fences, but intended to leave many hedges in place.

“All hedges between owner-occupied houses will remain, and over a third of the estate is privately owned. All tenants who wish to keep their hedges can keep them, providing they trim them regularly.

“The reason for removing some hedges is that we found that on a previous fencing scheme the removal of hedges opened up gardens and encouraged tenants to cultivate and tidy them.

“Moreover, in Rawthorpe there are several overgrown hedges that residents can no longer maintain, because they are too high to reach, because they cannot afford the equipment, or because they are too elderly or ill to do the work.

“We understand how important hedges are for hedgehogs. Indeed, one of our tenants chose to keep the hedge because there was a family of hedgehogs living in it.

“Before they start any work, contractors will be searching the hedges that residents have asked to be removed, and if they find any hedgehogs, they will be contacting Vicky so she can rescue the animals.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre   Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 9:21 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Great photo had to share - When Henry the hog in the photo came in he was covered in fly eggs and maggots and would not eat for a few days - as you can see he in now doing very well - Thank you to Kirsty for sharing photo was taken yesterday. xxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre   Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oggles Hedgehog Rescue & Rehabilitation Centre
Page 1 of 1