Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vivarium verses cage...which is best?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pendipidy

Vivarium verses cage...which is best? Empty
PostSubject: Vivarium verses cage...which is best?   Vivarium verses cage...which is best? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi guys,

I am looking to get my first hedgehog and have been reading numerous forums and internees sites to learn all about them and what they need. Several people have said vivariums are not suitable for A P Hedgehogs as they do not have suitable air flow. I have seen several vivs on here and no one has said this (it was on an American forum) so wondered what people's views are? How can air circulate and are they ok for hedgies?

Also, heat mats, are they ok to use or not? Some people don't seem to have any CGE or additional heating at all...is this ok? My hedgie will be in quite a warm lounge so I wondered what the best thing to have is?

I appreciate any advice!
Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner
Nellie

PostSubject: Re: Vivarium verses cage...which is best?   Vivarium verses cage...which is best? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 4:34 pm

I use vivariums for all my hedgehogs - they come with air vents which allow for air circulation, so when looking for one, make sure they have them - the VivExotic range are good and I have had no problem at all.

Even though your room may be warm it still may not be warm enough for your hedgehog - you can either use a Ceramic Heat Emitter and Controller or a heat mat - I use both but mainly the heat mats, I put half under their sleeping area and the rest is out in the viv - I have not had any hibernation attempts and to be honest, unless we have a heat wave, my mats stay on 24/7 all year.

You need to get a minimum of 3ft in length but if you have the space for a 4ft they go for this size as your hedgehog will appreciate the extra room.

Check out the stickies in each section as there are some good tips in each one and if you need anything else, just shout out xx
Back to top Go down
http://www.simplyexotichedgehogs.co.uk
Pendipidy

PostSubject: Re: Vivarium verses cage...which is best?   Vivarium verses cage...which is best? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Thank you so much for replying so quickly! do you have a link to a suitable kind of heat mat. I see pets at home and various reptile shops have different kinds...
Back to top Go down
Nellie
Admin/Owner
Admin/Owner
Nellie

PostSubject: Re: Vivarium verses cage...which is best?   Vivarium verses cage...which is best? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 6:14 pm

The one I like best is the habistat heat mat - 11 x 11" is the minimum size I use x

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.simplyexotichedgehogs.co.uk
Pendipidy

PostSubject: Re: Vivarium verses cage...which is best?   Vivarium verses cage...which is best? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Lovely. Does it go inside the viv under a fleece or under the actual viv?
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Vivarium verses cage...which is best?   Vivarium verses cage...which is best? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 9:29 pm

I use vivariums too, same as Helen....they are easy to stack, as iv more than 1...plus hold temps very easily...Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vivarium verses cage...which is best?   Vivarium verses cage...which is best? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vivarium verses cage...which is best?
Page 1 of 1