Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hedgehog FAQ

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Hedgehog FAQ Empty
PostSubject: Hedgehog FAQ   Hedgehog FAQ Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 8:22 pm

Frequently Asked Questions

Are hedgehogs related to porcupines? Will they “shoot” their quills at me?

No. Hedgehogs are related to moles and shrews. Their quills are not barbed and do not detach from their bodies like a porcupine’s.

Where can I get a hedgehog?

You can purchase a hedgehog from a pet store or a breeder. Breeders are generally the best choice because you will know your hedgehog’s pedigree, that it will be well socialized, its exact age, what its been fed and who you should contact if you have any problems. Pet stores do not offer these things

Does my hedgehog hate me? He keeps popping and hissing at me.

Your hedgehog doesn’t hate you. It is just scared, angry or unused to human contact. Don’t give up on it. Let it hang out in your lap, give it a t-shirt with your scent on it and be gentle yet persistent. Sometimes they need a lot of TLC before they understand that you’re a friend, not a foe.

How do I hold my hedgehog?

Quickly scoop it from underneath making sure to hold its legs, so that it feels secure. Then you can bring it to your chest, or flip it over so it will roll into a ball in the palm of your hand. NEVER USE GLOVES. Your hedgehog needs to get used to your touch.

My baby hedgehog sleeps A LOT. Is this normal?

Baby hedgehogs, just like baby humans, need a lot of sleep for the first few weeks. It’s completely normal.

What kind of bedding do I use?

Kiln dried pine or aspen shavings (NEVER CEDAR), paper bedding like CellSorb or CAREFRESH, or cloth liners.

Do hedgehogs need an exercise wheel?

Yes, a wheel is a very important part of your hedgehog’s home. You want to make sure that the wheel has a solid running surface. Mesh or holed wheels can seriously injure hedgehog toes/feet. The wheel needs to have at least a 12” diameter to provide the safest running space. Bucket wheels are the best choice.

What temperature does my hedgehog need?

To prevent hibernation attempts your hedgehog needs to be kept between 72-78˚F at all times. Do whatever means necessary to achieve this - heating pads, hand warmers, space heaters, etc. Of course take all necessary precautions to ensure both you and your hedgehog’s safety. Use common sense.

How much light does my hedgehog need?

Hedgehogs need between 12-16 hours of light, on a consistent schedule to regulate their sleep schedules. Not enough light can result in insomnia, behavioral changes and hibernation. It doesn’t have to be sunlight; a lamp works as well.

What are the symptoms of hibernation?

Cold to the touch, wobbly legs, hard to wake up, lethargic.

What do I do if my hedgehog tries to hibernate?

You need to bring your hedgehog’s body temperature back up. Hold it close to your body to warm it up SLOWLY. Other means like warm water can send your hedgehog into shock. Once you’ve warmed it up, make sure its cage is between 72-78˚.

Is my hedgehog male or female?

Does your hedgehog have a “belly button”? If it does, it’s a male. This is its penile sheath.

My hedgehog is foaming at the mouth and contorting its body? What’s wrong with it?

This is called anointing. Hedgehogs do this when they find a new smell that appeals to them and is completely normal. They take the scent into their mouth, mix it with their saliva and spread it over their quills with their tongue. It is believed they do this to either camouflage themselves or to build up resistance to toxins.

My hedgehog poops all over his wheel. How can I make him stop?

This is just a fact of hedgehog life. They poop on their wheels. In the wild, while they’re running to find food at night they poop along the way, so they do the same thing to their wheel. There really isn’t anything you can do about it. You can attempt to litter train your hedgehog, but it will most likely still poop on its wheel.

My hedgehog has poop all over his feet. Can I give him a bath?

Yes, you can. You shouldn’t give your hedgehog a full bath very often, but you can give it a “foot bath” every day if needed. Just fill your sink/tub with warm water up to your hedgie’s belly and let it walk around for a while. You can use a soft toothbrush to clean its feet too.

Why is my hedgehog bald on the top of his head?

We call this the “reverse mohawk” and it is completely normal.

What is the “pimple” on the underside of my hedgehog’s chin?

This is also a completely normal hedgehog trait.

Why is my hedgehog losing quills?

If your hedgehog is young it could be going through quilling which means it’s shedding its baby quills and growing adult quills. If your hedgie is over a year old and is losing quills it could be mites. Take your hedgehog to the vet for a skin scraping to check.

Back to top Go down
Josie

Josie

Hedgehog FAQ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ   Hedgehog FAQ Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 6:59 pm

great, easy reading information for newbies xxx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

Hedgehog FAQ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ   Hedgehog FAQ Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 7:00 pm

There is a few there i could add to the fact sheet Helen have a read in rescue room x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Sponsored content

Hedgehog FAQ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hedgehog FAQ   Hedgehog FAQ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hedgehog FAQ
Page 1 of 1