Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage

Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 4:20 pm

New patient admitted yesterday .... an adult female weighing just 817g, and now named Prickle. She was found laying on a path during the middle of the day, not moving or curling.

I checked a sample for her shortly after she came in which contained Coccidia, so she has already commenced treatment for that and is also receiving sub cut fluids.

Thanks to Laura for getting Prickle through the night and for finding her the help she needed. Also a big Thank You to Ellen & Family for bringing Prickle over to me on behalf of her finder (they had quite a trek in order to do so which is really appreciated) and special thanks to Hayden their little boy for choosing such a perfect name for her ♥

I will keep you all updated of Prickle’s progress and will take some pics shortly :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Quick update on the two girls that are currently with me .....

Tilley will be going back home tomorrow, she has put some weight on and is doing fine, and although I have checked her samples several times there are no nasties showing in there, so I think she must have just been struggling to find enough food for some reason ..... even though she has a lovely all night diner on hand.

Prickle is also doing really well, she is eating for England and has settled down nicely and is already feeling much better ....... I will try and take a pic for you all soon .... she has such a pretty little face ♥
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Prickle .... much improved over the last few days and gaining weight nicely 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:04 am

From what I have been hearing recently we still have a lot of work to do educating people what they should do if they see a hedgehog out during the day ..... and who to call. 

It seems that many people don't realise just how urgent it is to seek help and would prefer to leave the hedgehog in the wild as they believe they shouldn't "interfere with nature" or that wild animals are somehow different to domestic animals and will not require medication or veterinary treatment.

There is just the odd exception to this rule which is .... if you see a hedgehog that is busy collecting nesting material - it will most likely be a pregnant female about to give birth very shortly and preparing her nest .... if this is the case keep a close eye on the hedgehog, but still phone your local Carer or the BHPS for help/advice.

Please remember to Share with your friends to help spread the word.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 9:02 am

Hi BHPS,

One of my page followers has brought this advert from the makers of Frontline (Merial) to my attention.

I have a couple of concerns about this advert ....

1) that people will associate hedgehogs with being flea ridden (as many already do) and passing fleas onto the pets etc. and

2) that people will think it is OK to use Frontline on hedgehogs as well as household pets :-(

What are your thoughts and is there anyone you could contact about this please.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Update on Prickle ...... she has piled on lots of weight over the last week .... and now weighs in at a whopping 985g Surprised She was only 817g when she arrived just 1 week ago and still eating for England (well actually the whole of the UK at the moment I think!)

Still no sign of any Pricklets yet but will keep you all updated on that one :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 4:28 pm

Well it will soon be time to start getting the meals ready for the guys outside .... I wonder if I will see Eden tonight :-)

It was really strange whilst I have been away Eden has never been far from my thoughts ...... first the soap in the hotel was named Garden of Eden, then we saw The Eden Tea Rooms and yesterday we passed a shop that had Eden in it's name Surprised

I hope you are all still seeing your little visitors :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 4:39 pm

New patient in late last night ....

A very underweight and dehydrated male weighing just 636g who has been named Twiglet.

Twiglet was seen out during the day and Cheryl, his finder, said he appeared to be wobbly when walking, which initially I thought was due to his dehydration .... his eyes were not visible as they were sunken :-(

Thank You to Cheryl for bringing him over to me last night, even though it was quite late. Cheryl had kept him nice and warm since finding him while she looked for help:-)

I gave him some fluids straight away and when I was able to give him a thorough examination discovered a nasty puncture wound that was full of thick pus and I think this was more likely the reason he was having difficulty in walking :-(

His wound was cleaned out and he was started on antibiotics last night and has continued to received sub cut fluids throughout the night as well ..... he has eaten a little bit of food but not much .... and I now have a sample to take a look at, so will see what that reveals.

He is quite poorly so fingers crossed for him everyone ♥
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 9:09 am

Well Twiglet's condition is much improved and I can now see his little eyes :-)

He is drinking for himself but only eating a small amount of food.

I will be taking him to the Vet tomorrow morning so they can check him over as I have concerns over one of his back legs and also so they can check out the puncture wound injury for him.

Will let you know how we get on tomorrow but in himself he is much brighter ♥
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 5:32 pm

Well I had hoped to tell you all how well Twiglet seemed to be doing and how he was tucking into his Whiskas chicken in jelly pouch .... which he seemed to enjoy today in preference to the supermeat or the tinned Whiskas in jelly .... but sadly this isn't the case :-(

I took Twiglet to the Vet this morning and all seemed well but this afternoon Twiglet took a sudden turn for the worse and sadly passed away.

He was such a sweet little character .... RIP Twiglet ♥
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 1:30 pm

HEDGEHOG AWARENESS ....... Please Share

There was lots of activity in the garden last night .... at least 6 hedgehogs Surprised

It was particularly noticeable that the one thing they were all interested in was the water bowls ..... they were drinking A LOT of water.

So please leave fresh water out for any visitors you have, birds etc. (and any poorly hedgehogs that may be in need) during the day and definitely for the hedgehogs at night :-)

Please share ..... doing this could literally save a life

Thank You ♥️
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi Georgie, Look what turned up at the water bowl in my back garden - a Fox inbetween two Hedgehogs!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Update on Prickle ....

She is still doing really well and this morning weighed in at 1096g and still eating like a horse Surprised

Still only Prickle in the cage ..... for now, will keep you posted :-)

One of my garden visitors Grace turned up again last night, looking nice and healthy but weighing approx 140g less than she did 3 weeks ago and also showing signs of lactating :-D

HRH was around and about too and seemed to be getting his chat up lines right this time ... I think he was "having a chat" with Vicky whilst Grace was more interested in the food :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 9:25 am

I can hardly believe it is 18 months since I first posted about the dangers of Chinese Lanterns ... when I found several, almost complete lanterns, in a field of horses, and asked people to share the pictures to raise awareness of their dangers and sign the petition ..... following recent events I have now also added a few new pics/links to the album.

I guess it was only a matter of time but I was horrified when I saw the news last week and heard how a single Chinese Lantern had caused so much damage and put endless lives at risk.

..... please take a look at the following e-petition and sign and share [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .... no doubt many more people are now fully aware of the dangers ..... but we still need to sign the petition and share so that the sale of these lanterns can either be banned or have more controls put in place concerning their sale.

For more info take a look at the following page ..... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thank You
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 9:39 am

I hope you have all had a good weekend and have been enjoying the sunshine ..... please remember to leave some bowls of fresh water out for your garden visitors ....... day and night ........ I can't believe just how much water my visitors are drinking at the moment ..... birds during the day and hedgehogs and who knows what else over night .... with the prolonged dry spell they are all desperately thirsty and will quickly become dehydrated without help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Well we have had a few visits over the last few nights from some of the hoggies that I haven't seen for a while. ....

Tulip put in an appearance and looks like she too has had babies :-)

Mr McHenry who first appeared in our garden at the beginning of May weighing around 650g now weighs 911g and is looking good .... he was having a cosy chat with Grace last night :-)

Jamie also turned up again on Saturday night and she is a chunky 1100g Surprised So possibly expecting :-)

Eden has been around too and he is now on his third and final ASBO ...... he has been a very naughty boy this time ....... I picked him up to check him over, as I foolishly at that time thought it was someone else, as his marking had worn off a little and there was no trademark Eden huffing, puffing or bucking .... the next thing I know is Eden is hanging off my finger .... and it wasn't at all funny ...... so he has been warned any more trouble from him and he can pack his knapsack .... I have also told him that I'm sure I won't have any problems at all in finding him a new home
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 3:39 pm

saying Hello tonight so cute
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 am

Update on Prickle .....

Prickle is still doing fine, still eating for England and still gaining weight each day Surprised Although much bigger now than when she arrived she is not fat at all and can still curl into a tight ball :-)

She has now finished her medication and will be here for another week during which time I will be checking her samples to make sure they continue to be clear .... I still think Pricklets are a strong possibility .... but she is certainly keeping us hanging on ..... I will of course keep you posted ♥️
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2013 3:15 pm

Such a sweet little face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Another thirsty hoggie ......... this is why it is so important to leave at least one (if not more) shallow bowl of water out for them .... especially during this prolonged hot dry spell we are having at the moment :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 6:42 pm

New little patient just in ........ baby girl, named Jenna, weighing just 108g (approx. 3-4 weeks old) .... found out during the day.

The Finders have been asked to keep an eye out for any more as the nest has either been disturbed or something has happened to Mum :-(

She was a very hungry little girl when she arrived and was chewing my fingers ..... so have just given her some puppy formula and Hill's A/D and she has snuggled down into her little nest for a kip :-)

Fortunately no flystrike or any other nasties.

I will upload some pics in a little while when she has settled in ♥
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 9:08 am

Jenna is doing well and has been eating some of the A/D food mixture by herself overnight ........ this morning she weighed in at 119g :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 9:48 am

Well it was a very busy day yesterday ...... in addition to Jenna coming in we also had 3 more cuties arrive last night .... 2 girls and 1 boy who are waiting for names from their finder :-) They weighed 88g, 95g and 97g when they arrived.

They are all doing well this morning but sadly they were in quite a poor condition when they arrived ..... absolutely covered in fly strike :-( I managed to get it all off them .... one little girl arrived a few hours later than the others and she was in the worst condition but she is the cheekiest one this morning :-) Will take photos when they stay still for long enough, lol

I am feeding them the same mixture as I am giving to Jenna and although they have lapped some food overnight I am also syringe feeding them as
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 8:43 am

Lovely hoggie banquet .... some very well fed hoggies :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 12:34 pm

All the kids doing fine ....

Jenna is now a whopping 139g Surprised

The other three babies have also gained weight ... the two bigger ones are now 108g and the smallest one is now 90g

Because they came from separate litters Jenna is on her own but the other 3 are all together .... it isn't wise to mix litters of hoglets just in case they have an illness that has not been detected ... but Jenna doesn't seem to mind ..... at least she doesn't have any competition when it comes to eating her dinner :-)

I also caught up with Jamie last night and wouldn't be at all surprised if she is due to have babies .... she tipped the scales at a whopping 1230 Surprised
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next