Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Lou

Lou

Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:26 am

Yay for Kermit .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Male Hedgehog trying his luck with a female, she runs off in the end so guess he didn't get his way. Unless he was lucky off camera?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 12:23 pm

Lots of huffing and puffing in the garden again last night ... despite all the heavy rain. At one point there were 3 hedgehogs together all huffing and circling Surprised

Some of you may also remember Joey from when he came in last October time .... he is the one that had part of one his feet missing .... well he has been out in the soft release pens for a little while, so that I could monitor how he was getting along and whether being on hard ground would cause any problems, and I am really pleased to say, having caught up with him again last night for a check over, that all is well and he will be released into the wild again on Sunday evening ...... last week I mentioned that he had been making a strange calling sound - I found out the reason behind that in the end ..... it was one of the wildies who had stopped by to have a "chat" through the cage bars!!

Stay safe Joey ♥️
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Many thanks to Ark Wildlife Limited and to everybody who voted for Spikey Critters in the Hedgehog Heroes Food Giveaway earlier this month.

We have just taken delivery of lots of scrummy hedgehog pro feed and the hoggies think its Christmas.

We really appreciate all of your help xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:28 pm

Eden says Ciao to his friends and Edenettes

Short video of Eden just before he left to cause havoc in the great wide world ....... watch out lady hedgehogs I'm coming to meet you — at Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Update on Joey .....

Although Joey has been doing really well in the soft release pen and was released on Sunday evening .... it soon became clear that he was going to struggle in the wild .... so he is back with me for a couple of days and will be going to his new home tomorrow.

He will be staying with another carer in her secure/enclosed garden. He will however be sharing the garden with some other "less abled" hedgehogs so will have as wild a life as he can, but at least he will be safe there

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 1:50 pm

awww its a shame he cant be released but like the post said at least he will be safe .x
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Well I have just got back from taking Joey to his new home ....... he is going to love it there, I know I would if I were a hoggie, and he is going to be very well looked after by his Auntie Heather ♥

He will have a nice safe garden to wander around and access to a shed with hedgehog boxes in to make his home .... the shed is also heated in the winter ..... talk about being spoilt :-D

Heather is going to keep me updated too, so I will let you all know how he gets on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 8:08 am

Woohoo ... guess who just turned up in the garden?

I could hear him well before I could see him and then he spent ages self anointing ....... long enough for me to come inside and grab my camera!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 12:41 pm

I know the video of Eden self anointing isn't very clear really with it being so dark ....... here is another one video of some hoglets self anointing (courtesty of Pat & Brian who cared for these hoglets).

Warning ....... prepare yourselves for a severe cuteness overload ♥

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Eden came home for a visit last night ... the first time I have seen him since his release .... here he is self anointing — at spikey critters hedgehog care.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 8:17 am

Self Anointing

Another video of a hoggie self anointing .... thank you to Spike's Diner for sharing :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 9:34 pm

Well Eden turned up again last night .... I didn't see him chatting anyone up, but he did have a bit of a tussle with one of the other males :-/ ........ Mr McHenry on the other hand had the right idea and was courting a female for a couple of hours :-)

Hopefully Dougal will be ready for release this weekend, I will be checking a sample for him either tomorrow or Sunday and if its clear he will be free to go Sunday evening ♥

That will then just leave me with Wills and Shimmie and fingers crossed they should both be ready to go next weekend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 4:48 pm

We have received an update on Joey this morning from Heather at (Prickly Ball Lodge Hedgehog Rescue) ... this is what she said ........

"Hi, Just to let you know Joey is settling in lovely roaming around the garden with the other Hoggies.. He has been sleeping in one of the wooden houses with a Female !!! will keep you updated on that one !! Heather "
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 5:11 pm

9 June 2013 16:13

Well since they warmed up they are always hungry and greedy !!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Its been a busy day today and the phone has hardly stopped ringing

We almost had a little of 3 babies come in this afternoon but the finder managed to get hold of another carer a little closer to them, phew

We did however take in a juvenile, a little girl, weighing just 400g about an hour ago ...... the finders have named her Jackie.

Jackie is very dehydrated, she has had an initial injection of sub cut fluids to start to rehydrate her, she will continue with these over night ...... I am a little concerned at the moment about one of her back feet/legs but it's not possible at the moment to have a really good look, hopefully I will know more in a short while.

Thank you very much to Jim and his Wife for bringing Jackie over to me and also for your kind donation ..... I really appreciate your help xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 8:53 am

Well little Jackie has been a good girl and obliged by producing a sample for me to examine under the microscope which shows that she has Coccidia and Crenosoma (lungworm) Larvae.

She has started the treatment for the Coccidia a short while ago and will be having the wormer in the next half an hour or so, when I give her the next lot of sub cut fluids.

She is pretty quiet at the moment so just keeping everything crossed for her ♥
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Jackie is looking much brighter this morning, and already being a little rascal!

She is still quite poorly though and still receiving sub cut fluids .... I have also syringe fed her a small amount Hills A/D during the night and this morning. She has some food/water in her crate so she can help herself now, but she is showing no interest in it at the moment .... I think she just enjoys taking the food from the syringe, she is a real sweetie ♥
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 5:18 pm

It seems there are many angels on this site. Lots of love to Jackie and the other little babies and of course, you too Nellie love.

Hugs

JO xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 1:54 pm

I am really sad to say that despite picking up yesterday and having a drink of water by herself in the afternoon little Jackie passed away during the night :'(

She might have only been here a very short time but she was a lovely little character and so sweet.

RIP little one ♥
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 11:26 am

Well it was a fairly busy night here last night in Spikey Gardens :-) Eden turned up, as usual these days, around 10.30 pm and there were also 3 hedgehogs hidden deep in the shrubbery again, up to no good!

At about Midnight another hoggie turned up at the other end of the garden and it was Tulip. I have not seen Tulip for just over a month, so it was nice to catch up with her .... checked her over and she is looking really good with not a single tick or flea in sight, she weighed just over a kilo so really pleased with her ..... hopefully she has come back home to have her babies :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Just been down the garden to have a quick check and bumped into Eden :-) Picked him up and brought him in for a quick check over and weigh in ....... he is fine, as grumpy as ever, lol 

He weighs 900g and no sign of any ticks or fleas so really pleased with him. 

I put him back outside a few feet from the food and he went straight to it and started munching :-D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Some of you may remember Tilley who came into the Rescue for a short while last year ...... well she checked back in for her annual holiday again on Friday.

She was quite underweight when she arrived, just under 700g and very quiet.

She has picked up a lot over the last couple of days and is eating for England .... no signs of any internal parasites in her sample, but will keep checking .... she will stay here for a few days to help her get back on her feet and then will be able to go back home.

Shimmie will be going to his new home one day this week, he has finished his extended course of wormers and is now all clear.

Wills, the hoggie that was found in an empty pond, in a dehydrated and hypothermic condition, is also now ready for release and he will be packing his little napsack on Tuesday ... I'll try and get a pic of him either tonight or tomorrow .... he is such a cutie ♥
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 9:02 am

If anyone is looking for a trail cam to see what your little critters are up to during the night Aldi are having a special offer on them this Thursday, 20th June .... £79.99 each. See link for more details.

I have not used one of these myself so can't say how good the quality is going to be though :-) 

(Thanks Karen for the link).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 10:20 am

I saw our pal Eden again last night, he hadn't been around the night before and I thought he may have wandered off again, but he is still here :-)

I heard lots of huffing and puffing coming from the corner of the garden and went to see who was there, I couldn't tell who the female was as Eden was obscuring her marking from view ...... but what I can say is they were doing a lot more than just chatting, so I left them to it Surprised

I think it is fairly safe to say, all being well, that there will be some mini Eden's in the future ♥️
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next