Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage

Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 11:55 am

New patient waiting for me when I got home from work last night .....

An very underweight and dehydrated adult female hedgehog, weighing only 516g, who has been named Erica.

Erica was out in daylight and had fortunately stumbled across some cat food and a bowl of water that had been left out by her finders :-)

Realising that hedgehogs should not be out during the day and concerned that she appeared to be dragging a back leg they picked up her and called for help.

Erica has eaten overnight and has also been receiving sub cut fluid injections to help with her dehydration and she seems quite happy in herself today.

It looks as though she has broken one of her hind legs at some point, but not recently. She is not in pain with the leg and can move it and feel it. Once she is in better shape, she may well need to have the leg amputated .... I will keep you updated.

Thank You very much to Anita and Family for getting Erica the help she needed ♥
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 7:37 pm

The Triplets ..... Awww :-)

The Triplets brought in on Saturday now eating by themselves — at Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 am

Another little girl in late last night, weighing just 97g and had been seen out during the day ... sadly she was very dehydrated and flat when I picked her up and despite my best efforts died just a few hours later .... RIP little one ♥

Remember .... If you see a hedgehog out during the day you need to speak to a carer urgently.
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 am

Poor little soul. RIP little one. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 11:39 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Another thirsty hoggie ..........

Did I mention about leaving shallow bowls of water out for the hoggies and other wildlife?

I saw Eden in the garden last night and he was taking on water too ... it really could make all the difference and be a real life saver ♥
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 11:41 am

Aww, gorgeous photo. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Update on all the Spikeys .....

Prickle is doing fine .... she hasn't had any little ones .... so looks as though I may have got it wrong, although there is still time ..... because of the poor conditions at the moment with the ground being so hard and everywhere being so dry, I am going to put her in a hedgehog box in a soft release pen for a short time where she will continue to be fed etc. and once the conditions are looking better she will be released back to the wild.

Erica is doing well and gaining some weight .... she was a little fussy about her food to start with .... but now I know what she likes :-) She will hopefully be going to the Vet at the beginning of next week.

All the kids are doing fine .... Jenna is now 165g and a real wriggle bottom .... I tried to take some more pics of her but she didn't want to sit around a pose .... will upload them later.

The Triplets now have names ..... they are Bert, Daphne and Penelope ..... they are all doing really well and really put on weight over the last few days .... they now weigh 140g, 136g and 112g ♥
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 9:22 am

Some of you may remember Mo & Jess coming in for treatment last year, when she was just a little one herself.

Well I received this pic last night and it looks as though Jess is now a Mummy ♥
Back to top Go down
gems

gems

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 9:26 am

aww that is so sweet
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Aww, lovely. Very Happy x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 9:10 am

Awww ... what a cutie :-)

This is Petal's friend and he needs a name .... so any suggestions anyone?

xx
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 11:24 am

Aww, beautiful. Smile x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Just got back from the Vet with Erica ...

Erica has put on weight and is also a little stronger than she was last weak, she is walking a lot better too as she regains her strength. I have also been giving her extra vitamins in case the weakness was caused by a deficiency.

The Vet examined Erica's leg and confirmed that there was an old fracture of her hind leg .... she is happy for me to continue doing what I am doing at the moment and has asked me to keep a close eye on things but feels that given time Erica should make a good recovery ♥
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Update on the Kids ...

Jenna is now a massive 248g .... she weighed 108g when she came in 10 days ago.

Bert now weighs 205g, up from 95g when he came in.

Daphne has also doubled her weight up from 97g to 208g and little Penelope is almost twice the size she was when she came in up from 88g to 164g.

Jenna has been huffing and puffing at me for the last few days but this morning was tearing off pieces of newspaper and carrying them around her crate ..... so starting to think about nest building :-)

The Triplets have just started huffing now as well so hopefully they will also start to think about nest building in a few days time.

I have just taken a couple of pics of the Triplets and will upload them for you shortly ♥
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Erica x
Back to top Go down
fionac
Rescue Committee/Carer
Rescue Committee/Carer
fionac

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Aww, beautiful.x
Back to top Go down
hoggyhugs

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 3:45 pm

What a little sweetheart.

Hugs

JO xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 7:00 pm

NEW BABIES... here is a quick snap of Hilary's Hoglets.. she has moved them off the paper and towels which they were on at the other end of the hutch...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 8:55 am

Jenna eating her yummy breakfast — at Spikey Critters.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Awww ..... Mum and 3 babies

I never get to see this in my garden .......... I just get the babies dumped on my doorstep by their Mum in the Autumn for me to take care of!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 5:55 pm

Bert, Daphne and Penelope taken about a week ago
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 9:49 pm

The latest video of The Triplets ..... they certainly do love their grub — at Spikey Critters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 12:44 pm

So pleased the rain has arrived, seven releases planned for this evening! Only 77 to go!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog   Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spikey Critters Hedgehog Care Blog
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next