Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hogles Wood Hedgehog home

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 10:54 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Morning Just a quick photo of two of last nights visitors to Hogleswood and 2 remind you that this was taken just before midnight ,,If you see a Hedgehog tiny like Kessy or huge like these out in the day you can be 99% sure that all is not well with him Hedgehogs do not come out in the day Quickly restrain him dont stop to think about it or ask a neighbour DO IT put him somewhere quiet and safe with water phone for your nearest rescue for advice PLEASE dont hang about on this one a second could save a life nos to ring are on the top of this page thanks The hogles
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Update on little Kessy we are struggling he will not lap now got him on goats milk, Oats so simple.and a little honey he is taking through a large hole teat All he wants to do is sleep fight to get any thing down him. But this last mixture seems to be going down well .Thats him the little lump under the fleece Sorry cant risk a photo at the mo ,No stress for this little treasure ,I have got every thing crossed for him ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Little Kessy has had 80 mils of hydrating fluid under his spikes and a dose of "Baytrill " the Bottle was just not enough ,Now had 2 good feeds this afternoon" Foxy Lodge "you are amazing people thank you but still need all your good wishes xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 11:46 am

Last night the temps round here went below 5 degrees time to seriously think about giving your little spiky pals lots of nourishing food to pile on the Winter fat First they have to build up lots of "Black" fat and then lots of white fat ..The white fat keeps them going all Winter in hibernation. The black fat they keep in reserve for, if they are woken up they have the energy to go out to find food to replenish the white fat again to finish their Winter sleep (another reason to keep a supply of dried food around over Winter months.So come on folks out there tonight with lots of good nourishing hedgehog food ,My menu last night Their usual pile of well loved meal worms and sunflower hearts scattered around (they enjoy a forage) Big dish of left over chopped chicken and sausages, bowl cat food in Jelly only meat flavour ,Bowl " Oats so simple" made with goats milk (NEVER COWS) or water with a spoon of pure honey Also in thier feeding boxes some digestive biccys they love them, dried hedgehog food, dried cat biscuits.dried fruit lots of nice fresh water water every where, Come on lets get them set up for Winter we want them all back in the spring .....,GOING TO HUNT AROUND THIS WEEK FOR BEST BUYS AND IDEAS ON HIBERNATION BOXES SO STAYED TUNED FRIENDS -
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 8:54 am

I expect most of you hedgehog lovers are now thinking of hedgehogs Hibernating and how you can help by building A Winter home its called a Hibernacle .You can of course buy some great ready made one which i will do some research and find for you. Also you can build your own I will also find you some Diagram's to do this too ;But first I would like to tell you a bit about using second hand wood ,We have been hearing a lot about Tanalised wood what is it ..Since the 1940 Tanalised /Tanalith have been the world wide registered trade marks of the "Arch Timber Protection" Manufactures Makers of timber preservatives. Tanalised timber allows no fungus or insects to survive on the treated timber and nothing else either Its thought to have killed thousands of animals of all sorts over the years Lethal stuff .At last over the last few years it has been withdrawn from consumer contracts like Hand rails decking etc. Because it contains C.C.A (Chrome Copper and Arsenic) now known to be a huge health and safety hazard because the Arsenic seeps from it in fact you must not burn it saw it or chop it its highly dangerous Of course the powers that be omit to tell us this but if you have any treated second hand wood take it to your local recycling centre for disposal and use raw wood and treat it yourself that said I will carry on finding some real good options for you and "I'LL BE BACK"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Little Kessy am afraid has not made it .every thing possible was done, an under lying problem.I am very very sad , but I know you cant win them all , Maybe because he and his sibling (who died straight away) lived on the edge of farmland could have been insecticides that caused genetical problems maybe we will never know ,the cost of post mortems are not affordable i am afraid R.I.P. little Kessy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 10:05 pm

"Little Star " new patient not to sure yet 300grms but thin found in the day Have removed fly eggs ticks given Baytrill and wormer Eating and drinking well we will see what tomorrow brings ,I am hoping hes just a bit upset with the massive change of temps in this area found in a Hedgehog friendly garden so not sure healing vibes all Please thank you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 8:12 am

The tiny tearaway teenager has decided that sitting"in" a bowl of high protein hedgehog food and eating fast food (Meal worms) is a good idea "Not" lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 9:27 am

A little information page i found on the B.H.P.S. for cheap and easy house there are loads of ready made on Amazon Ebay wildlife sites Ranging from £15 -£95 But please remember the preservative issue and ASK before you buy more housing info. to come ............HEDGEHOG HOUSE - MARK III (Council Tax Band “D”)
A plastic storage box or an upturned milkcrate (preferably plastic) buried into
a mound will probably attract hedgehogs. A hedgehog “Prefab”! Cut out any
internal partitions of the crate with a coping saw or secateurs and make the
entrance about 14cm square in one end of the crate, avoid leaving “rough” edges.
Set the crate into your rubbish mound and camouflage it well outside. Inside you
can make it more inviting to hedgehogs by covering the floor with soil and leaves,
or even torn up newspaper and a few small sticks.
barringtonprint, Leominster
For further information please send a s.a.e. to:-
The British Hedgehog Preservation Society,
Hedgehog House, Dhustone, Ludlow, Shropshire SY8 3PL
Tel: 01584 890801 E-mail: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Price 25p
REGISTERED
CHARITY NUMBER
L5.02/13©
HELPFUL HINTS
When you have made a hedgehog house, place it in a quiet part of your garden,
preferably against a bank, wall or fence and hope that you will have a visit from a
friend seeking a home. Make sure the entrance to the house does not face North
or North East, thus avoiding the cold winter winds. It may then become the winter
home for some lucky hedgehog. If female, she may even have her young in it in
the spring. After winter use, late March/early April, it may need to be cleaned out
and, to some extent fumigated or washed out. To make sure there is nobody in
residence, put a small light obstruction in the entrance to see whether it is pushed
away overnight, if it isn’t this is an indication that the hedgehog may no longer be
in residence (but take care just in case). You can clean the house using an organic
Pyrethrum powder, suitable for caged birds.
On no account should the hedgehog house be creosoted or “treated” as the fumes
remain for a long time and can be very harmful.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Little Star is a little unwell bit wobbly back on heat pad in case he is in hibernation mode he is much to underweight to do this .See what this evening brings .I will wake him at dusk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 10:15 am

Heating left on all night to try to keep Little Star active I am concerned about him , True what I say about being free though whatever their condition, he still climbed on the Water Pot and stuck his nose through the cage bars as far as he could ..So moved pot and made a paper barrier. I so want him to make it X
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 7:59 am

1.15 must sleep 2nd night of heat pad for litte star just gave fluids through a teat cant get rim to drink goats milk and rusk hand fed cant give him any more t so worried he is not even trying ...tuck you up little man see In the morning we shall see now 1,50 sleep must do it now t
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 12:00 pm

HANKS every one sorry could not win this one Little Star passed away peacefully in my hands 3.35 this morning Today I am off round the area where he was found this is the 3rd one from this area to die over the last couple of weeks for no visible reason ,I am off to check for any chemicals used in the area (Slug pellets Weed killers ) I am printing up information leaflets to put though doors ,For a short time i blamed myself but was tired and upset But if i dont do any thing to find out why this is happening i will blame myself .Back later with my photos of hibernation home building ...Thank you all again for your support it helped this week 100%
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 7:18 pm

WHAT IS AN AUTUMN JUVENILE >>>>Well its a small hedgehog found in September onwards from proberly a second littler ,There is little natural about and the nights are very long and cold ,So it makes it very hard for these little guys and Dolls to build up their fat reserves to Hibernate for Winter anything under 450 grms proberly will not survive hibernation 600 grms and they stand a pretty good chance What can you do for these little bubs >>>> First put out loads of fat building high protein food Like good quality meat flavour cat kibble Meat flavoured puppy or cat food in jelly Dried Meal worms Digestive biscuits many super markets do a saver range for as little as 30p a pk. Dried fruit sun flower hearts Left over chopped boneless chicken sausages and of coarse lots and lots of fresh water Lets get these little treasures fattened up for Winter >>>>>Dont forget though if you see one in the day time whatever the size something is wrong GET HELP Thanks The Hogles
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi Every one went along to put my concerns to Director of new build in my village armed with info and photos of hedgehog friendly fencing Heres the e,mail i got back RESULT whoo hoo
Thank you for Listening Paul Pitcher Wellington homes (Orwell Housing) well chuffed =/////*> ))) Good Morning,

We met on Tuesday evening at Kessingland library regarding our application at The Nordalls.

We discussed hedgehog friendly fencing between the proposed dwellings and I would like to confirm that we will progress and install if indeed our planning application is successful.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

Paul Pitcher

Managing Director
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Wednesday 9/9/13 Just spotted three Juveniles going in to feeding boxes and foraging on the lawn very lively ,What to do. this was 9 30 evening .will they fatten up for hibernation ?? seen them 2 nights same place think nest is down the garden Should i get them in or will it stress them into dying will i let them stay out a little longer (end of October) so see what weight they get up to .One is realy tiny think i need him in tomorrow for a look and a decision hate playing god!!! There are a few others they will be in the next album including mum please come back later to have a look and please read the Captions which explain things i am not at all concerned with the good looking kids plenty of fat on them The one hanging around the B.B.Q (tez) I think could be mum the babes were running in and out of the feeding boxes while she feed around the Barby did not get photos of them as opening Cat Pen would have scared them all off and I wanted to feed them as much as possible... I can see tonight 10/10/13 being a long night watching nest area in a Rain Coat under an umbrella boy am I going to save hard for my wild cam this year
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 8:37 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here he/she is who kept me up looking till past midnight last night in the Cold,Rain,Wind,Tiered , freezing ,wet,goggled eyed after staring down the garden for 3 hours Well up he came tonight 10.00 we picked him up few ticks they can wait till morning now cuddled up to Miccrowaveable hogle from Uncle Gwilym Roberts nice and warm and weighing in at only 166 grms ,so your here till spring I reckon Unless he reaches 600 grms in 6 weeks ??? for now its food sleep food sleep etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Just had some fun Just removed a Tick from Little" Zukie"( my grand-daughters idea) I had already removed some Friday when he came in Spotted this one Lurking on his head 'you have got to go' i thought so i used my "TOM.O.TICK usually use tweezers Yuk this was a fast one no sooner had i dislodged which made my little guy jump the pest ran off through his spines could not grab it quick enough without tweezers it fell on to the floor which is grey same colour as the tick but after minuets of staring at the floor shoeing off the cats ,Found it picked it up and disposed of it in the most humane way possible I wont go into detail.... And the Fantastic news Little Zukie is 192g came in Friday night at 166g I am satisfied with that ....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 8:52 am

Right lets try to do this in a fun way There are so many conflicting reports on different sites,I live on the East Coast this is the way i would play it ..If I lived further up north i would do things two weeks earlier and more South 1 week Later Take a look at these toy guys of mine Imagine the little one is the size of a tennis ball If I found him first weeks in October at night i would bring him in and weigh him if he is 200g or less then I would keep him all Winter chances are he wont reach the necessary weight before hibernation so get help and advice from your local rescue next size about 350g/400g found at the end of October and should still make it but make sure you keep putting out loads of nutritious food for them to build up 3rd one looking good nice and round and ready 600g/700g still keep putting out food and of coarse water he will be ok to hibernate the bigger the better and the last guy we will defiantly see you in the spring Hope this helps a bit with sizing your little visitors.. but dont forget any size only one rule if you see him in the day especially asleep on the grass but walking about too wrong hes in big trouble ,catch him put hm in a box shut it ,top climbers keep him as warm as possible if he has a bad injury,choking feels very cold a wrapped hot water bottle will help but please get help try to learn when to leave and when to save good luck they are so worth it

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 8:28 am

The large males all hibernating big and fat the ladies now getting fewer please enjoy these few from the last couple of night I will tag soon off the check the babies — THE HOGLES ARE GETTING LESS AND LESS
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Last night 12.30 i had a finale look out side and was met by this wonderful site .Dont know if it was a mum and child but they certainly stuck together They looked healthy happy well fat I estimate the little one at around 450/500 so i am going to leave them the weather on the East Coast for next week is mild and wet ,Another 4 weeks to add to their already plump little bodies . I shall be looking out tonight hope they turn up again the little one loved the fruit cake in full cream goats milk that should put the pounds on such Joy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 7:50 am

Morning every one The Hogles say If you going out trick or treating have the best time ,we hope you get loads of sweeties ,mums made us some little kitten milk treats with Meal worms, yum ,cant wait .Then we will be off on our usual foraging trips round the Towns and Villages and City's. We are not Kill Joys Just lickle .Have loads and loads of fun. Now if you do see one of us please be careful you don't accidentally tread on us or kick us Sometimes we have a little scarddy with with us and you Monsters and witches will really scare him ,so if you see us run away towards the road please tell Mum or Dad to pick us up, Tell them to just pull their sleeve down to hold us for a few seconds and pop us in a hedge or behind a gate or fence with gaps under it (We must get out again to go home to bed) And remember to tell them we dont have fleas unless we are sick but if we maybe have one or two they cant live one Mum and Dads lovely soft warm skin and they will jimp straight off and back onto us but honest i not got none .Thank you all and have a lovely tome tonight The Hogles
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 11:14 am

LOOK AT THESE GUYS AND PLEASE PLEASE REMEMBER THERE FAMILY'S COULD BE SLEEPING UNDER "YOUR" FIRES SO I BEG YOU LOOK LOOK AND LOOK AGAIN AND GIVE THIS MESSAGE TO EVERY ONE ELSE PLEASE ..THE HOGLES
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Been fighting all morning to save little one caught in a bloody fence ,Lady found him yesterday morning got him out tucked him up in a box with hay Blanket water and food ..He had got to cold caught in the fence all night and then spent the next 24 hrs to cold. Lady genuinely thought she was doing the right thing . Time he got to me it was to late. did all i could Sub cuts, rehydrating warmth ,he responded to nothing Lost him 12.00 Just a reminder, whatever your heart tells you, its so important to get these little cold Hogles help immediately especially when they are found in trouble like this little 'Girl'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hogles Wood Hedgehog home   Hogles Wood Hedgehog home - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hogles Wood Hedgehog home
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2