Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Small baby from Latvia

Go down 
+15
Botty31
Lou
Gaga
Kukusja
gems
lynnshaw
hoggyhugs
alison
Melody
tayer
horsy
zombiewoman
christinelevis
sue caldwell
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Gaga

Gaga

Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 8:52 pm

how old is she? was she removed from mo early? she may be suckling xx
Back to top Go down
Kukusja

Kukusja

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:32 pm

I don't know exactly, because she was brought here from a cheap pet market in Poland by people who supply local pet shops with animals. I suspected she was far too young to be taken away from her mother, and experienced people here approved my idea - their estimate was about 4 weeks old....So I guess suckling is very possible. In general she acts like any tiny baby - cries to be picked up and calms down immediately once in the lap. And she always tries to follow me...
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:38 pm

maybe she is suckling then im not sure, but i would discourage it just incase it turns into biting later on xx
Back to top Go down
Kukusja

Kukusja

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Yes, I got the idea. I'll try to discourage this behaviour mildly, and I will also feed her before handling. Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Gaga

Gaga

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:44 pm

keep us updated Smile xx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:45 pm

I hand reared my little girl Tuppence and the bond that develops is something very very special - it may be that your little one still has a few more teeth to come through and that is why she is gnawing on your hand - although it is behaviour to discourage, whilst she is so small it may offer her a little more comfort - it she hurts, a small blow in the face will suffice. The mealworms you are giving her are fine - and weight gain is good - I wish you every success with this little one xx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:47 pm

I also had a very small baby in one of my litters her name is Dottie very tiny like your little one andd she has come on in leaps and bounds .. the link you sent is not working so i will send it to Helen see if she can get it to work ...

I also wish you every success with her she is lovelyx
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Kukusja

Kukusja

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks Smile I'll sure will keep you updated.
It doesn't hurt at all, and I don't want her to be frightened, so a blow in the face is the last measure. I would rather feed her before handling as it seems to reduce this behaviour. She finds mealworms delicious Wink And I hope I will succeed to make her like all kinds of allowed foods just to keep her diet as rich as possible.
And I really feel the bond between us grows stronger from day to day, and I appreciate it really much.
Lou, I will upload this video to youtube and then send you the link. I hope to get it ready soon, so check your mail Smile
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:03 pm

Ok ... Kukusia i will keep checking ..make sure her diet is a mixture of protein and not to much fat ... i look forward to regulary updates ...

take a look at some of Dotties post .. might reassure you x
Back to top Go down
Kukusja

Kukusja

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 pm

Lou, the link sent.
As for the diet, I've been advised in hedgehogcentral forums to feed her with Royal Canin Babycat since she's so very small, do you think it's a good idea?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Royal Canin is a good biscuit for her - it is important to remember the size of the biscuit to the size of the mouth that is eating it x
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 pm

royal canin is a good biscuit .. but i also think lke Helen suggested a bit of chicken thigh will be good for her .. as well as her mealies ...
Back to top Go down
Kukusja

Kukusja

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Good, gonna try it tomorrow. Only thigh or other chicken parts will do? Let's say fillet?
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 pm

chicken breast is good too but thigh is a little higher in fat .. and is good for a treat ...x
Back to top Go down
Kukusja

Kukusja

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Ok, I'll start with thigh then. Guess I'll add some of it to her kibble and leave it for the night - it seems that this is the most effective way to make her try something unfamiliar.
What about other chicken parts like liver or stomach when she gets older?
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:49 pm

i dont personally give mine liver or the stomach .. i tend to stick to breast and thigh ...x
Back to top Go down
Kukusja

Kukusja

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Ok, understood Smile
Have just offered her RC Babycat (she's been given crushed RC Kitten before) she reacted by anointing. It looked so funny Smile Hope that means she likes it.
Back to top Go down
sue caldwell

sue caldwell

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 9:03 am

well done kukusja
it sounds like your patiennce is paying off with the weight gain . Dottie is one famous hoglet on here so maybe you have a teeny tiny hoglet as well x
Back to top Go down
alison

alison

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 am

Dottie the famous hoglet lol I like that sue xxx So pleased this baby is in the right home and is doing well Kukusja. She sounds a lot like Dottie they may be tiny but they have huge character xx
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 am

Have a read through the following link to see the story of Milo... I know he's a mouse but it shows the bond that has been developed because he was rescued at a very early age Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 pm

I think this is a little like Dottie as she was far more friendly then other hoglets at her age .x
Back to top Go down
Kukusja

Kukusja

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 7:33 pm

In fact she's so very friendly that it surprises me more and more. Never thought a hedgie could be THAT outgoing. I must have surely been lucky with her I love you
Looks like I have to crush Babycat kibble despite its small size. She has difficulties to get it chewed. But otherwise the taste seems to be quite appetizing Smile Is it normal that she eats a lot more during the night than in the daytime? I know hedgehogs are nocturnal and that might be the cause, I just want to make sure that there's no problem. Or maybe I should take her with me going to work as long as she sits willingly under my shirt, and then wake her up periodically and offer food? Or would that be too much stress for the little one?
The fact is that I'm a bit worried about her while I'm at work, and I also miss her so much, so I just thought that maybe I could try to take her with me.
And she already recognizes her nest made of my thick jacket, goes to sleep there by herself Smile
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 pm

ahhhh, all my hogs eat at night...!

im sure you could take her to work if its safe....in a bonding bag of some kind.
but im not sure about doing it straight way as she is sooo small/young....maybe others will give more advice on that one...!

she is such a cute little thing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Kukusja

Kukusja

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 8:34 pm

It is rather safe, yes, otherwise I wouldn't even think about it. I have read about those bags for carrying hogs around, but I can't imagine what they should look like. Could anybody show me? This would be of great help to me since carrying her under my shirt isn't always convenient.
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 8:37 pm

these are them:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

with a strap...which you cant see, in the picture.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small baby from Latvia   Small baby from Latvia - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Small baby from Latvia
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next