Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?

Go down 
+9
tayer
kelz32
Botty31
Lou
Cathy
A M Y
Melody
Elaine67
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Elaine67
Elaine67

First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Empty
PostSubject: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi Folks,

The header says it all really. I'm looking at the setup options for a first-time hedgehog keeper and am wondering which way to go containment wise. Obviously I've read 'the stickys' but would like to know your opinions.

I'd like my daughters to be able to access the setup easily, whilst at the same time providing optimum comfort for the beasty. I've read that the Zoozones can be brittle and break easily. Has anyone experienced this? I see many peeps use them and they look very much like any of the indoor cages I've had over the years apart from the plastic shell top-section - plastic where wires are on other cages.

Yesterday my hubby and I went to visit our local reptile centre to look at vivariums (and buy some frozen mice for the owls) I saw a 3ft x 18" x 18 one which I thought would be idea (plenty of floor room for a 12" wheel, house, tray and toys. Chris liked the wood-effect (would make a nice feature in the lounge & could have second stacked if required) and was already asking if we could drive into the delivery area when we buy and pick it up! We were told that this was far too small and that I'd got the wrong end of the stick - that a bare minimum of 4ft was required - and that would be barely adiquate. HELP!! Have I got it all wrong - I mean I do know bigger is better, but the 4 footer was a lot bigger - for one little pricky-beast. ...Was the guy just trying to flog a bigger tank?

What a nightmare and I haven't spent a penny yet!

...Though thinking about it - gotta go If you know what I mean!
Thanks for reading
Elaine Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi Elaine, I have the larger zoozone (with the very dark blue bottom) This would be the smallest one that should be used and is ideal for one special hedgehog. Depending on whether you have the room to sit this on, and at what height determines whether it is easliy accessible for your daughters.

If you went for a viv type housing unit, I think the positives with this are that you are able to wither stack on top if you would like, dare I say... Moer! Or even if you would like to put anything else on top - ornaments etc.

Hope this is useful...

xoxox
Back to top Go down
A M Y

A M Y

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi Elaine

I have got the Zoozone 2 and as Melody said, its adequate for 1 hoggies.
I am upgrading to a vivarium stack but this is because I have a bearded dragon who has to have a 4ft wide area when he gets to adult size. And the zoozone on top of the beardies vivarium isnt pleasing to the eye.

But if you are looking at just one hoggie for now then the zoozone is more than enough

xxx
Back to top Go down
Cathy

Cathy

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 3:57 pm

I personally have viariums as I stack them and I like the wood effect of them. I have these

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The vivexotics come in 3 colours and there are bigger ones than the one I have, but the one I have is adequate room for them.

You don't need one that is 4ft, I think he was trying to upsell. TBH the more room the better, but 3ft x 1.5ft is the minimum, which the above vivexotic is. I have room for a litter tray, wheel, tunnel, toys, pouches and because they're high enough I have the ceramic heat bulbs hanging in there. You need to think that if you have heat bulbs, Zoozones are not advisable as the heat will be outside, hanging over the top of the bars, making them hot to touch and can be knocked over. If you are having heat mats though, they are fine in a zoozone or a vivarium. Make sure a vivarium is tall enough for there to enough space for the heat bulbs without the hog being able to reach it and burn itself.

If having a zoozone, it needs to be a zoozone 2. The standard zoozone is not big enough. I have a standard one for when I take the hogs to my Mum's, as they will only be in there overnight (I only take 1 hog at a time in the ZZ). Also I have a playpen that they can run around in for more space than the viv.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference, one is not better than the other. Hope this helps. xxx
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 4:15 pm

I use both the Zoozone and vivs , I perfer vivs . They look better and are more sturdy . 36" by 18 inch is smallest recommend size .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003745145643&ref=t
Botty31

Botty31

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 4:17 pm

I have 3ft vivs and I stack them , they are the viv exotic ones and I found the cheapest place was [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I hope this helps Smile
Back to top Go down
kelz32

kelz32

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 5:00 pm

mine is 3ft biy 1.5 wide and that is well big enuff for sonic think this guy must be tryin it on to get more money out of you xx
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 5:30 pm

I prefer viva but have a zoozone2 as a back up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/PethauPigioghedgehogs

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 5:41 pm

I have purpose built stacks that my dad built and also vivariums - as I have the room I use the VX48

Also have ZZ2's as back-ups for any rescues etc
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 5:52 pm

[quote="kelz32"]mine is 3ft biy 1.5 wide and that is well big enuff for sonic think this guy must be tryin it on to get more money out of you xx[/quote

Maybe not Kelly some of mine are 4ft ...
Back to top Go down
Sian

Sian

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 6:50 pm

I have one of each, they are both great, don't know which I prefer really, but vivs are better if you are goin to have more than one as they are easily stackable xx
Back to top Go down
Misty

Misty

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 10:54 pm

I have just moved Sonic from Zoozone to Viv and although Zoozone was fine I feel that Sonic is more accessible and warmer in the Viv, plus it look so much nicer. I went for the Vivexotic VX 36 from Seapets (free delivery) - its certainly worth shopping around though as I found my local reptile shop was asking almost twice as much for viv and cabinet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 7:42 am

Always worth supporting your local shops though - all shops are supposed to sell at the RRP and buy at a fixed price from their local wholesalers - Seapets buy direct from the firm which supplies the wholesalers at a vastly reduced price - please remember that the majority of shops have to sign terms and conditions which state they must sell stocked product at the Recommended Retail Price - if they are found to be selling under this price then they run the risk of not being able to stock the product at all - one rule for one and one rule for another x
Back to top Go down
Lou

Lou

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 8:06 am

I think that's a very good point Helen . I never go to Pets@Home .. i use my little pet shop at the bottom of my road .. Not a big fan of big pet stores .x
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Folks and Thanks for all the feedback...

I'm 99% sure I'll be going for a viv... Not because of price (though SeaPets are the best by far) but for the fact that I can stack 'em so that should I want a second viv (for a 'hog or otherwise) I can make a nice feature of 'em in the lounge, and so avoid my Hubby's cries of "It's very cute - but where the h*ll're you gonna put it?!"

I completely agree about keeping it local. We have a P@H literally minutes from us but use the same pet shop I've shopped at for over 20 years. It was Mr's Hobday and Hobday (brothers) of Hobdays Petshop (surprise) who suggested I either check out the reptile centre in the city centre or check out Ebay, 'cos they don't carry vivs only smallish tanks - lots of rodent hutches/cages - but no ZZ2s. There's not enough local demand for viv and whilst their shop is like a TARDIS - storage has to be justified...

Sorry for not getting back to you all sooner but the situation here's been a bit stressful. We found one of our ferrets semi-concious yesterday. In just a day he's gone from hail'n'hearty to deaths door. After being syringe fed yesterday He spent the night in a pet carrier next to our bed. This morning he seened a bit better, having drank some water during the night he's eating small amounts of cat meat on his own, so fingers crossed.

Finally (and back on topic) the savings I'll make on the viv means the prickler can have a gurpin-great 4 footer lol!

Thanks as always
Elaine
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 5:09 pm

Hope he's okay Elaine, is he old or something? Is it worth a visit to the vets? Big positive vibes being sent to him xx

xoxox
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi Melody,

Charlie Bear isn't really old, nor is he young. He's 4 yrs old - middle-age for a ferret. He had a very bad cold at the begining of December, which even though he recovered, left him weakened after loosing weight and condition. Unfortunately, even hot-water-bottles inside the hutch (and a weather cover over the outside) weren't enough to stop him getting ill again. In December we were told that it "might just be his time". Having had a simple vitamin shot, we were told to take him home and bring him back in 5 days if he hadn't recovered (or died). We took him home and nursed him back to health.

This time we've decided that if he doesn't rally we may have to consider what's best for him. Don't think for a minute that we'd have him PTS as an easy solution. Poor little Charlie is so miserable at the moment. To think that this is going to become a recurrent event is very hard - it's no life for him. He can't play with his pal and hutch-mate Ollie. That's hard on Ollie too. He get's quite rough with Charlie - expecting him to respond in kind. Chris (my DH) has divided their two-story hutch into two single hutches for now. So that when Charlie's well enough to go outside (and the weather improves enough to give him a chance) he can have some further recovery and reaclimatising time.

As I type Charlie is curled up asleep in his carrier. That's all he's doing at the moment. Normally he'd be going crackers trying to get out. At least he's drinking well and eating a little on his own. Come what may, he's comfortable and has us nearby.

Now it's a waiting game...
Crying or Very sad Elaine
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 9:45 pm

oh poor charlie, iv had ferrets they are like a cross between a cat and a dog....very playful and loves their owners...or who ever brings their food...lol
i had a pole cat called ben...oh he did stink...but id spent all my time with him!!! even when me n the hubby had a mahoosive row after a drunken night and i spent the night in the shed with him....lol
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Lol Tayer!

You're right about the food thing - I get a treat and call "Charlie, Charlie Charlie!" and he dances over with a look that says "Ham, Ham, Ham!" ...Ollie loves Chris (give's him lickey-kisses on the nose! Shocked ) but no-matter what I do to attract him, all I get is "Chuck it on the floor and I'll look at it later!"

Was your Hob neutered? That usually knocks the niff down to a wiff - you know what I mean! Razz Much as I love my lil' buddy, if he was an intact hob he wouldn't be at the side of my bed - no way!

As for the shed - I'd grab the ferts and it'd be Chris in the shed! Twisted Evil

Thanks Tayer - That's cheered me up.
Elaine
Back to top Go down
Melody
Admin
Admin
Melody

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Oh bless him, I hope he feels better after resting up a bit. He sounds so sweet! xx

xoxox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 8:43 am

I love ferrets, my friend has a small rescue, most of them stay with her and I know that when ferrets go down hill it can be very touch and go - piccies of the ferret as well please x
Back to top Go down
dobbyhog

dobbyhog

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:18 am

I have a viv and a zoozone 2 dont have aany problems with either Smile x
Back to top Go down
Elaine67
Elaine67

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Helen,

I've posted a couple of pickies in other pets. I'll post updates there to.

Dobbyhog, I can see m'self having a similar set-up - eventually!

Thanks
Elaine
Back to top Go down
tayer
tayer

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Elaine67 wrote:
Lol Tayer!

You're right about the food thing - I get a treat and call "Charlie, Charlie Charlie!" and he dances over with a look that says "Ham, Ham, Ham!" ...Ollie loves Chris (give's him lickey-kisses on the nose! Shocked ) but no-matter what I do to attract him, all I get is "Chuck it on the floor and I'll look at it later!"

Was your Hob neutered? That usually knocks the niff down to a wiff - you know what I mean! Razz Much as I love my lil' buddy, if he was an intact hob he wouldn't be at the side of my bed - no way!

As for the shed - I'd grab the ferts and it'd be Chris in the shed! Twisted Evil

Thanks Tayer - That's cheered me up.
Elaine

no they were intact...at the time i lived with his parents...it was in the summer...my oh did come looking for me early hours of the morning, to apologize....!
Back to top Go down
alisondarroch

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I am also goin to be a first time hedgehog carer and was pretty sure i was goin to buy the zoozone but now im not to sure. I already have 2 vivs, 1 3ft for my beardy and 1 2ft for my leopard gecko but what concerns me about the viv is weather there is enough airflow with the small vent at the back of the tank? x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?   First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Hedgy Home - Vivarium or ZooZone 2?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next