Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Prickly-Critterz Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 10:04 am

If you find an injured hedgehog, it's always good to bear in mind that shoeboxes do not make them better! An injured hedgehog needs to get to the closest rescue as quickly as possible where it will be warmed up, given fluids and meds and probably taken to a vet. Keeping them in a shoebox will do no good whatsoever and just means we've got even more of a battle on our hands when it gets to us. Poor hog been attacked, kept in shoebox all day, died within an hour of getting to me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 11:03 pm

Busy day today, 4 hogs in, one adult sadly didn't make it but she was very very poorly. 3 hoglets, 2 who need antibiotics and one who is absolutely caked in mud after being found down a hole. Hopefully we'll be able to clean a lot off tomorrow but for tonight he's just resting on a heatpad.

Running a rescue means that you work everyday,, no matter what. Hedgehogs need mucking out, feeding and medicating no matter what is going on in your life. We're saying goodbye to our baby boy tomorrow morning so I'm going to have to get up extra early to get everything done. Night all xxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 8:55 am

Good news, Lola our hog who had massive head injuries after being kicked around is now out of our intensive care unit and doing really well. She has trashed her hutch for the last two nights in a row.....a lovely sight considering she could barely move and breathe when she came into us! Well done Lola!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Just for reference, if you call me out to a hedgehog who has been out in the day for nearly a week, hasn't moved for a couple of days, stinks to high heaven because he's is being eaten alive, don't expect pleasantries from me as you could easily have saved this hog by picking up the phone days ago. Straight to the vets but nothing could be done
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Hoggy update, Lola is picking up again, after recovering from her awful head injuries she took a down turn during her lungworm treatment, she could hardly breathe and was very stressed and panicked. I did worry that after all of our hard work we were going to lose her, but she's picked up and doing much better now.

Harold, a baby came in after being found in a hole. He had no claws on any of his toes at the front and we were worried they wouldn't grow back, but this morning I saw tiny claws starting to grow again, this is great news as it means he'll be able to be released once he is bigger and has new claws.

Martin's leg is recovered and he just needs to grow big and strong now, and Max and George are doing amazingly after their worming treatments.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 10:53 am

Wow we had a really busy day yesterday, two admissions in the morning, one very poorly and struggling to breathe and one youngster who had lost both back legs, she was covered in maggots and was pts. The poorly one sadly died later that evening.

We did 2 talks yesterday, hopefully raised lots of awareness and people will go back and look at how to make their gardens more hedgehog friendly.

Yesterday was our last day for out volunteer Katie as she abandons......I mean goes back to university. Good luck Katie, thanks for everything, you've been an absolute star xxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 8:01 pm

It's very difficult to tell if a hedgehog is ill, injured or in a lot of pain, sometimes even us rescues who work with them day in day out can't tell straight away. If you find a hedgehog please take it to your local rescue so that it can be checked out and given the necessary treatment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 8:40 am

Every rescue centre needs the support of a local vet and our vets are amazing. We couldn't do what we do without them and I appreciate everything the whole team do at Damson House Vets. When I ask my toddler what he wants to do or where he wants to go he's started saying "vets" and is asking to get out of the car before we even pull up, it's good he enjoys it as we're there so often!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 7:57 am

Morning all. Thought I'd do an update as it's been a while.

Bella our gorgeous Juvenile was released at the beginning of the week. I'll always have such fond memories of her as she came in at a very difficult time. I was in labour with my angel boy, on a morphine drip and gas and air and got the call about Bella. She only weighed 88 grams and I had to try and organise her rescue with the finder and my volunteers. The volunteers were exceptional and took hutch, heatpad, and all feeding equipment back home with them so that they could give her the care she needed. She gave me hope at what was a very difficult time and she was the easiest hog ever to raise.

Lola, our girl who was kicked around, continues to do well but has lasting injuries which we're not sure will ever fully heal.

Plonker is a hog who came in at the weekend. He had severe facial injuries that were very badly infected. He had been kept by the finder for a couple of weeks before coming in and had not received any vet treatment. He's now on antibiotics and pain relief and seems to be responding well. His injuries get cleaned daily and I think we'll be on top of the infection in no time.

Drizzle unfortunately is back with us with a severe case of lungworm. He's still not out of the woods but it receiving meds and fluids and seems slightly brighter than when he came in. He's very much loved and we fought so hard to save his paw back in May so we're pulling out all the stops to save him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 4:22 pm

Went to rescue a hedgehog this morning, found it up a tree! It seems ok but under observation at the moment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 4:24 pm

If you want to be one of our release gardens there are several criteria that you must meet:
You must have hedgehogs visiting your garden already.
Be well away from main roads.
Have suitable shelter for the hog should it choose to use it.
The hog must be able to get out and go to other gardens.
You must be willing to put food and water out for them.

If you meet this criteria, live fairly close by then give me a call xxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 4:25 pm

I've just done little Rosie's first feed of the day. She's feeding really well and has put on 2 grams since coming in, but I'm going to try her on sloppy food later as she's a hungry little girl and I think she may have started weaning already.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 4:32 pm

Some days, running a rescue centre is the most rewarding job ever, today is not one of those days. Two small hedgehogs brought in individually, they had such horrific injuries they have been put to sleep. Another one is on it's way in "crying in pain", I just hope we can help this one!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 3:25 pm

If a mother hedgehog has died and you know you have babies in your garden they MUST be checked by a rescue, if not they will die. We know the size they should be and if they'd have a chance of survival or not. They would be brought in and given a health check and you could foster them until they were big enough to be released back into your garden. Can the person who just phoned who hung up when I said I needed to come and check them PLEASE PHONE BACK. They will die if something is not done quickly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 4:09 pm

If a mother hedgehog has died and you know you have babies in your garden they MUST be checked by a rescue, if not they will die. We know the size they should be and if they'd have a chance of survival or not. They would be brought in and given a health check and you could foster them until they were big enough to be released back into your garden. Can the person who just phoned who hung up when I said I needed to come and check them PLEASE PHONE BACK. They will die if something is not done quickly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:08 am

Wow, what a day. The little girl who came in covered in maggots and fly strike and totally emaciated last night unfortunately didn't make it. I'm gutted as she was stunningly beautiful and I really hoped I could pull her through. She had intensive care but unfortunately to no avail. I guess I have to take comfort in the fact that she died warm, safe and as comfortable as possible.

Lots has been done in the shed today, extending the number of intensive care units, re-arranging various things and finally getting organised. It's taken most of the day but will hopefully save time in the long run. Thank you to those who have sent things off the wishlist, they already in use and we're so grateful. For anyone wanting to send things off the wishlist, we desperately need heaters so that we can keep the hogs warm in winter xxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 8:13 am

Morning! I've had a couple of emails asking how I got started so I thought I'd tell you our background and how we started Happyhogs:

I used to be a primary school teacher until I was diagnosed with having a very rare cancer in my neck. I had part of my neck removed and am totally clear now but because I have chronic pain and occasionally lose the use of one or both arms, I haven't been able to return to work.

I've always loved all animals and after getting involved with fostering hedgehogs last year, my husband and I went on a course at Vale Wildlife Hospital and started up our own rescue. It's something that I'm very passionate about as I didn't have a clue about the troubles hedgehogs are facing. Steve built the shed and the hutches, he's great at DIY, and I do the hedgehog care and conservation and awareness talks.

We have some amazing volunteers, a couple who are back at uni now, but when we went through a tough time 6 weeks ago when we lost our baby boy, they held the fort and did everything for us so that we could concentrate on our little family. They will always be a big part of our rescue. We also have the support of a fantastic vets who we couldn't run without. I'm usually there a few times a week, once I had to go 4 times in one day!

Happyhogs is constantly a work in progress, we're always striving to make it better and run more efficiently. Everything that can be recycled is and we try to be as environmentally conscious as we can. Our facilities have improved drastically since we started and our talks to schools and groups have hopefully raised a lot of awareness.

Running a rescue isn't easy, it's relentless, exhausting (especially when you're juggling being a Mum to a toddler) and emotionally and financially draining but I absolutely love it, and wouldn't change my life for the world, Sally xxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 3:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is Lola. She came in at the beginning of August with horrific head injuries after being kicked around. She couldn't breathe properly and head had such bad injuries that it was completely misshapen. Luckily she would take all her meds, critical care and head feeds really well. It's taken a while but she looks pretty good now doesn't she?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 3:16 pm

With colder weather on it's way, please leave food and water out for hedgehogs, it's vital that they build up their fat reserves to survive winter. Provide a sheltered spot with lots of dry leaves etc and leave food out for them, this will give them the best possible chance to survive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Little Rosie is not doing so well at the moment, she is not gaining weight and has tested positive for lungworm. She's on meds and back on syringe feeds to keep her strength up.

Alvin is back from his secure garden after spending a couple of months learning to use his leg again. He's been checked over and is doing brilliantly. He's a whopping 1400g and in really good condition. He'll be going for release in the next day or two.

Plonker is doing really well, we're slowly getting on top of his infected face and he'll be going to a secure garden once we've killed the infection. I won't miss mucking out his hutch though as he poos for Britain!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 12:41 pm

Had a juvenile boy come in yesterday, he's so thin and dehydrated that I was quite shocked. He's made it through the night, on heat an having regular fluids and we've just got to hope he pulls himself through.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Bill, our hedgehog who needed to be removed from where he was found has gone tonight for release, hopefully he'll be really happy in his new place, thanks Yvonne for collecting him. We always like to keep hedgehogs where they are found if possible but this one had to be re-sited due to an unruly dog.

Alfie, the hog who came in yesterday is still hanging in there but not out of the woods by any means. He's desperately thin and being fed very small meals so as not to shock his system. He's also receiving fluids and meds for lungworm.

We had a little boy come in tonight, only 115g and out in the day, the finders are looking for more.

Before you all panic by the way, yes, it is cake night but we're recording the Bake Off for when we finish everything that needs to be done tonight. CAKE!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 8:56 am

UPDATE... The little Hoggie that i collected last night which had been so brutally kicked, has made it through the night and is walking very slowly around and is eating and drinking a little... He is in the ICU and is on strong pain killer as i imagine he is very bruised and possible internal injury.. But no broken bones... Keeping everything crossed for this little fella...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 8:05 am

Managed to get all the hedgehogs mucked out, weighed and medicated before my little boy woke up Even managed to do some faecal sampling so now I just need to book in at the vets to get some medication for our new arrival John.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 11:56 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Drizzle was not impressed with the girlie colours but he's embracing his feminine side and has totally pulled it off!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull   Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Happy Hedgehog Rescue - Sollihull
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next